Ch•3- Don't let Go

"Looks like I'm meeting with Killian" Pepper ended the call, setting her phone down on the white couch where I was. She plopped down beside me, soaking up the warm fire that blazed in the pit across the room.

  I sat with my legs crossed at the end of the couch, reviewing my science notes. Am I the only kid who actually studies over Winter Break? Even though school just ended today, studying is important, do it kids "And I'm not looking forward to it" she added, glancing to me with slight annoyance.

     I rolled my eyes, continuing to read my hand-written notes "Hey, he showed up creepily to my school. It's not like I asked him to or anything. He was persistent, he really wants to meet with you"

"He use to ask me out all the time back in the days before I worked for your Father"

     I laughed out loud, covering my face with the Science papers. The pencil I was using rolled onto the floor. That is just too funny! It took me a whole minute to regain my composure before talking again. And when I tried to speak, another wave of laughter flowed over me "He- He asked you-" my breath came up short from the hilarity of this whole conversation.

    Pepper groaned and stood up from the couch. She went to the kitchen, probably to hide herself. I rolled onto my back, letting out a long "ohhhhhh" I wiped under my eyes "now that was funny... Let me guess, you said yes"

"No!" She snapped.

"But you wanted to say Yes"

     "No!" She repeated, I laughed again. Pepper returned to the living room, holding a glass of wine. After our embarrassing little talk, she definitely needed it "Back then he was... well... not the greatest looking man. His hair was long, curly, it reached his ribs. He had dorky glasses and he spoke with a nasally tone and ugh" she grimaced as if she was in pain and took a sip of her drink "I'm not looking forward to our meeting"

     I shrugged, letting out my last round of giggles before picking up my pencil from the floor and returning to my notes "He didn't look like that. His hair was shorter. Combed back, down to the back of his neck. He had on a nice tan suit. I'd rate him like... a 6ish or 7ish out of ten"

"Oh" Peppers eyes sparked with interest "really?" She tilted her head to the side.

       I nodded "yeah, he's still creepy though, but that's just me" The grandfather clock on the wall chimed seven o'clock. The sun was just beginning to set after a long December day. Christmas was in a few days.

My Birthday is Christmas Eve, that almost slipped my mind. This year I was turning Fourteen. I always loved having my birthday on this holiday, twice the presents.

      I wonder if Dad remembers that the day of my birth my approaching, or is he too busy wallowing in his own problems? He already missed nine out of fourteen of my birthdays, is he going to miss ten? I watched the clock for a moment until it stopped chiming and then looked back to Pepper "I'm going upstairs to my room, there's a english project just waiting for me"

"Alright honey" Pepper kicked off her heels and lifted her legs up on to the couch.

     I scooped up my book bag and headed for the stairs. I peered down the stairs towards Dads lab, hoping that maybe he would emerge. I haven't seen him since our argument this morning. He's probably pissed at me. He always seems to be now.

     It's like a black hole has formed, and is sucking me away farther and farther from him. Dads are suppose to be their daughters hero, so why do I feel like he is the one who's tearing me down? New York had changed him, it changed me to.