Ch•14- Shining Armor

I stood in the center of the heli-carrier control room where Nick normally stands. The Agents worked at their computers all around me. I stared out the large windows, watching the clouds roll by. This made me feel like the Director of SHIELD, Director Stark.

        We were making our way to Sokovia at the moment where the rest of the Avengers are.
There was so much on my mind right now, so many questions that needed answers. But I pushed them all to the back of my brain. What I needed to focus on was right in front of me. My Friends need our help. We don't know exactly what we're flying in to, but I'm pretty sure we could be of some help.

         "Colonel Rhodes" Maria Hill called
in greeting. She was standing at the computer right beside the main controls. I looked over my shoulder to see the figure strolling in the room. A smile formed on my lips "Welcome aboard"

        "Glad to be here" Rhodey nodded to Hill. He glanced over to me, shooting me a nod "Director Stark, War Machine at your service" he saluted all Military like.

        "Welcome War Machine" I placed my hands on the bars that line the control panel "I hope your ready to kick some robot butt"

         Rhodes chuckled, coming to stand by me on the raised platform "Ha, yeah, not if the robots kick me first" he leaned against the bars, taking in the breathtaking view of the blue sky. The two of us stayed quiet for a few moment. It wasn't an awkward silence, it was just a silence. Our vessel was slowly approaching Sokovia, in a few minutes we'd be right on the city.

        "So, would you consider yourself an honorary member of the Avengers after this?" I asked, placing my elbows on the metal bars and cupped my cheeks with my hands.

"It depends" Rhodey shrugged

"Depends?"

"On if you guys need me"

         "Of course they need you. You are War Machine, the coolest... second coolest Iron Man out there!" I exclaimed, throwing my hands in the air "You've helped Dad all his life, and now you can help the Avengers"

"Why did you say they?" Rhodey asked, turning his head to look me in the eye.

"What do you mean?"

         "I said you guys, and then you went off and said they . You're an Avenger too Jes, you know that right?"

"Ha" I laughed, looking back out to the clouds "I'm not an Avenger Rhodey"

"You helped fight Ultron in the tower with the others"

"Yea" I nodded "and I got my butt handed to me by a robot, remember?"

         "Well" Rhodey shrugged "We all did... but let's not talk about that. You are an Avenger Jessi, wether you know it or not" I rolled my eyes, crossing my arms over my chest "and also wether you like it or not. You are the most extraordinary kid out there-"

          "Here we go again" I ran my fingers through my hair, getting more annoyed by the second "That's all I hear anymore Rhodey. You, Dad, Steve and all the others think I'm some kind of jewel or a special... thing..." I sighed, not knowing how to finish that sentence "the truth is, I'm not. I'm not all that you think I am"

"You're just being modest"

"No, being real"

                                      ***

          Rhodey went back to get his War Machine suit, my Aunt came to stand with me for the remainder of our trip. We were approaching Sokovia any minute now. I looked around my Aunts body to Coulson who was engaged in a deep conversation with Maria.