Ch•7- Fall Apart

The old English library was vacant as I sat in the main lounge area with several books surrounding me on the sofa. Rain pattered against the multicolored stain glass windows, its noise echoed from around the room. Rows of shelves choked full of books surrounded the center reading area. I was alone, halfway across the world in a country that I'd never visited before. In my mind, England was always seen has picturesque, or romantic. But today, it's gloom and grey mixed with the endless rain.

           I don't remember how long I've been here, definitely over four hours. I've been avoiding something during my time here in the library, avoiding something that I don't want to face. About seven or eight old biographies about Peggy Carter herself were scattered on the leather couch around me. I was currently reading the book on how she aided in creating and directing the organization that we all know as S.H.I.E.L.D. My family history was just getting stranger and stranger... and it's not even on my Dads side!

           Now that I think about it, there is a connection. My Grandfather helped to create SHIELD. There's also Peggy, Mothers Aunt, also aided in creating SHIELD. The two halves of my family have been connected for all this time and I had never realized. SHIELD was destined to be apart of my life from the day I was born. There was no avoiding this. Now, my family is at odds with one another. These Accords are forming an even greater rift. I fear that one day soon it will all shatter. I stared down at the book, unable to read anymore.

           "You've been here for quite awhile" the Liberian approached me quietly from his desk. His feet hardly made a single noise as he walked across the polished hardwood floor. He had a thick british accent and fluffy brunette hair.

           I peeled my eyes away from the pages of the book to look at him. He was maybe early forties, but I could immediately spot the wisdom radiating off from his skin. His style was very old school, a white button up shirt covered with a black blazer and a red tie. For some reason, I felt comfortable. I chuckled softly and admitted "I guess I'm just stalling"

          "Stalling?" The British man asked, running his fingers over top my books that were laying around. He scanned his eyes over the titles "stalling for what, if I may ask?"

          I closed my book and set it on the sleek wooden coffee table in front of me "The future" he tilted his head to the side, waiting for me to go on. I glanced to the front doors of the library that lead to the bustling streets of London "I'm not ready to face what's on the other side of those doors... not literally those doors" I pointed to the front entrance "but, you what I mean. Hypothetically is the word that I want to use, right?"

          "May I sit?" He asked, gesturing his hand to the empty spot beside me on the couch. I shrugged and scooted over to make more room, allowing him a place to sit "Miss. Stark, if I may call you that" I nodded my head slightly. Everybody all over the worlds knows who I am. It's not uncommon for strangers to call my name out "I don't know much about your life in particular, but, not to brag, but I do have a solid A- on reading people and giving advice" he said with light humor as he leaned his elbow against the back of the couch.

I laughed at that. At least he knows his talents "From what I know-" he continued "-there are these accords that the United Nations have come up with. I saw a report about them on the news. These accords deal with the Avengers free reign and power, correct?"

I nodded.

          "And since it deals with the Avengers, I can only imagine that some of the members agree, and some don't. That can automatically cause dysfunction within a group of any kind"