F O U R T E E N

"Wake up, it's Christmas."

I rubbed my eyes and sat up, but I didn't recognize the place. Then I realized I had fallen asleep talking to Tom last night. I opened my eyes further to see my dad standing beside me.

"I swear nothing happened." I said as the sleepy boy next to me began to sit up.

My dad hugged my body, "Don't worry, kiddo. I believe you."

"Oh, God. I promise you, Mr. Downey, nothing happened last night. We were exhausted when we got home and both fell asleep while talking." Tom freaked.

My dad let out a small laugh, "Like I told, Delilah, don't worry I believe you. Now, let's go downstairs and open presents."

I rolled out of the bed as my dad left the room. I looked over at Tom as he did the same thing. Once my dad was for sure out of earshot, Tom spoke up.

"I seriously thought we were going to be in trouble." he breathed out.

I chuckled, "Me too, Tommy."

Tom walked over to me and wrapped his arms around me in a tight hug.

"I'm so glad I met you, Lilah. You're one of the best things that has ever happened to me." he whispered.

I pulled away from the hug and smiled at him, "You too, Tommy boy."

He shook his head at what I had decided to call him. He then pulled me by the arm and out the door of the guest room.

"Come on, I wanna see you open presents." he laughed.

When we got downstairs, we found my dad sitting by a gigantic mound of presents in the den. Tom and I both froze in our steps at the sight.

"There's no way that's all for me." I breathed out.

My dad nodded, "You're right, some of it is for Spidey."

"What do you mean, sir?" Tom asked.

My dad got up and walked over to us, "Your folks contacted me and offered to send money so you could open some gifts here on Christmas, but I declined the money and bought you some gifts myself."

"Well, uh, thank you sir."

Dad shook his head, "Call me Robert or RDJ, 'sir' just makes me feel old."

•••••

We had pretty much finished opening presents within an hour. That's how it normally went here in the Downey house hold. Dad would wake me up around 9, we'd open presents for about an hour, and then we'd go in the kitchen and make ourselves brunch.

Well, we'd attempt to make brunch. Neither one of us is very good at cooking.

"Before we go make some brunch, that may or may not turn out terribly, I've got one more present for my baby girl." my dad announced as he left the room.

I eyed Tom, "Do you know about this?"

"Not at all." he shook his head.

I fiddled with my fingers as I waited. Is it bad that I'm actually kind of nervous to find out as to what this last present is.

"Delilah, close your eyes. Tom, cover her ears for me real quick." my dad yelled from the next room over.

I stared at Tom, "I'm so confused."

He covered my ears as I covered up my eyes. A few seconds later, Tom removed his hands and I could hear something moving around in the room.

"Can I open my eyes yet?" I asked.

"Open." my dad announced.

I opened my eyes and immediately brought my hands to my mouth as I gasped. This was the best present ever!

"You got me a puppy?!" I asked breathlessly.

My dad nodded as the small dog wiggled around in his hands. He walked over and handed my the golden retriever puppy.

"It's a boy and he's 6 weeks old. I know how much you've wanted a pet, so I finally decided to give in." my dad smiled at me.

I held onto the dog and hugged my dad tight, "Thank you so much! I love him."

I sat back on the couch and held the puppy above my head. He was so cute and fluffy. I love him!

"What are you going to name him?" Tom asked.

I smirked, "That's confidential."

"You're terrible and I'm actually kind of scared as to what you're going to name him." Tom laughed.

I patted his shoulder, "Don't be scared."

"Come on kiddos, let's make some brunch." my dad said, waving us into the kitchen.

Tom looked over at me as we walked toward the kitchen, "You two cook?"

"Not at all. It's a tradition for us to at least attempt to make brunch." I laughed as I petted the dog that was in my hands.

Dad rubbed his hands together as we all entered the kitchen. I handed Tom my puppy and went to grab us all aprons. I returned seconds later with 3 aprons.

I threw my dad his and handed one to Tom. We all put our aprons on and sat my puppy in a dog bed my dad had strategically placed in the kitchen.

"What are we making today?" I asked, leaning on the counter.

"We shall attempt to make French toast, cinnamon rolls, and a ham!" my dad announced.

Tom laughed, "You've got some mighty big plans."

"We attempt to make this stuff. Half the time we burn it to a crisp, so we'll probably end up at a restaurant in an hour or two." I explained.

He furrowed his eyebrows, "Why not just skip the so called 'cooking' and go straight to the restaurant?"

"Tradition!" I laughed as I tossed a little bit of flour in his face.

He just stared at me, "You're lucky you're my best friend."

I giggled at the look on his face.

"I'm very lucky!"