ċɦaքtɛʀ 5: Dying Hope

( Trej's Pov )

It wasn't until 11:00pm before they got back. When Jay opened that door I couldn't believe what I saw.

La' Jada had so many bandages she practically looked like a damn mummy. Ka' Liya was still carrying her upstairs before I could even ask what happened. Z however was just about to pass out on the couch after walking in tired as hell, bags under her eyes looking like the walking dead but I ain't tell her that of course.

Me and Jay helped her up the stairs and into bed cause she was like an iPhone battery or her car; always running on almost empty. I was taking off her shoes as Jay laid her up in the bed when a joint slipped out her jacket pocket. I pick it up and Z has no idea what I found. She was already sleep just a soon as her body hit the bed. We crept out the room trying be slick, heading around the corner bout to go down stairs when I stopped Jay in the hall.

" Hey, since when Z start smoking the devils lettuce??? " I questioned with a puzzled look.
"Yo, stop lying she, ain't bout that life " His disbelief slightly worried me for a moment.
" Oh really, cause this just fell out her pocket " I take it out and put it in his face giving him a good look before placing it behind my ear.
" Hold up, that can't be right she don't ever be around us smelling like that shit, man I would know. All my homies got that shit on em 24/7 " Jay shockingly clarifies.
" Jay you smoke??? " I'm alarmed by his last response.
" Nah bruh, I'm on parole for possession of that shit on school property, cause some dumb mf wanna snitch on a young nigga " He starts acting all tough, all of a sudden.
" Oh shit, you fucking up already man, but you gotta stay out of trouble bro and stay in school unless you wanna be locked up like our good for nothing father nigga " I don't wanna see my lil' bro going down the same path as me when he could really make something out of himself instead.

" Yeah, yeah I know but what bout this blunt tho? I would lit it up but I got a drug test coming up soon on the low " Jay informs me and I still can't believe he already heading down this path like the rest of us.

" Hey man, long as I'm here y'all gone be good and I gotchas back, that's why I wasn't gone give it to you anyway lil nigga, I'm just gone put it by her nightstand. I ain't trying get on her mf bad side, fuck you mean " I clarify.
"Ight cool, that's what's up " Jay agrees.
" Yeah man,Imma meet you down stairs, I'm finna check up on lil sis once I put Z shit back ight " I notify him.
" Ight man " he hears me out before jogging down the stairs.

Trying so hard not to disrupt my beast of a sister, which is exactly what she is if she gets woken up when sleeping. I place the blunt back in her jacket pocket, now on the chair across the room, hopefully she ain't hear me and Jay's lil convo.

Real slick I slide out of that room and  around the corner as quiet as a possible. Then slowly crack open the door to see La' Jada wrapped up in fifty million blankets like a butterfly in a cocoon even tho its the fucking summer. Ka' Liya however was in the chair across from her with her hands over that brave face and head hung low. I tap her on the shoulder and jester her to come down stairs with me. She caught on pretty quick and kisses La' Jada's forehead before joining me downstairs with Jay.

Jay's hungry ass was in the kitchen making a sandwich while I sat on the couch by the front door. Ka' Liya however plopped down on the couch up against the wall of the stairs leaving the ottoman between us.

She honestly looked fine as hell with her short nigga haircut, got em faded on the edges too, damn she fresh. I see that even tho my lil sis gay, she still picks em right. Although currently she looks more defeated both emotionally and physically but who could blame her? Today was a lot to take in.