Chapter 26: Fire

Dipper's POV

While waiting for the ambulance to arrive Ford and I carried Mabel up to our room. We laid her down on her bed and placed a cool towel over her head.

I sat on the edge of the bed watching her. Words couldn't describe how I feel. I was scared, angry, and guilty. What if Mabel doesn't wake up? Her last memory of me will be how I was such a jerk to her. If she dies right here I would never have a chance to apologize and tell her nothing could ruin the twin bond we have.

I heard Ford sigh from the corner of the room before he left and closed the door behind him. And that's when it all came out.

I began to bawl my eyes out. I was crying. I couldn't bear the thought of Mabel dying. I cried until I could barely breathe. I cried until my head pounded. I cried until I was making the most inhuman sounds.

I didn't even here Grunkle Stan walk in. I felt him pat my shoulder.

"Hey kid," He said.

I looked up at him immediately feeling embarrassed. I sniffed and wiped my face, "What do you want?" I asked.

"I know how much this sucks," He sighed, "I know what it's like to feel as if you lost a sibling, especially on a bad note,"

I looked at him, "Grunkle Stan what if Mabel doesn't wake up?"

"Well kid, I hope she does or your parents are going to have a long talk with me," He half heartedly joked.

I attempted to smile, but I couldn't.

"Did Great Uncle Ford ever fully forgive you?" I asked.

Grunkle Stan looked shocked for a second, "What do you mean?"

I sniffed, "It's just- I said such horrible things to Mabel... this is my fault... will she ever forgive me?"

"Dipper, this isn't your fault," He assured me, "And of course she will forgive you. I've never seen a brother and sister as close as your two, I know that you guys will stick together no matter what,"

"Really?"

"Yeah really," Grunkle Stan stood up and cleared his throat, "Now stop being such a baby and wait for the paramedics, Ford and I can take care of Mabel,"

I nodded and stood up.

I made my way down the stairs to the front of the shack. I rubbed my eyes and tried to fix myself so I wouldn't look like a wreck.

I found Wendy standing down there. Immediately I blushed.

"W-Wendy?!" I said.

Her face was full of concern. She walked over to me and crossed her arms, "I heard Mabel was hurt, is she okay?"

I looked away, "She should be fine," I mumbled pushing away the thought that she could possible not be fine.

Wendy squat down to my level and took off my hat, "Are you okay?" she asked while ruffling my hair.

I gave a half smile, "Yeah,"

Wendy gave a small laugh and put on her huge smile that brightens up everything.

BOOM!

Wendy and I quickly turned to see the wall only a few feet away from us had exploded, fire began to spread.

"Dipper, we've got to get out of here!" Wendy screamed.

"You go ahead!" I said, "I need to get Mabel!"

The fire was growling and growing with speed, smoke quickly began to fill the air.

Wendy coughed, "I'm coming with you," She removed her flannel revealing her tank top underneath, "It could be dangerous,"

I gave a nod, "Right. Let's go."

Another explosion sounded, rattling my brain and hurting my ears. Wendy and I ran upstairs. At the top was Grunkle Stan holding a sleeping Mabel. Her face was so peaceful, the last thing we needed was her waking up to this. Who knows what shock this could give her?

"Kids! What's going on?" Grunkle Stan shouted.

"I don't know!" I cried, "But we need to escape!"

Together we all headed towards a window in the back where fire hasn't spread yet. Grunkle Stan lifted up the window, I crawled out first. Wendy crawled out second carrying Mabel out next. Then Grunkle Stan crawled out as fast as his old bones could take him.

I finally breathed again not realizing how much I held my breath.

"What..... Was..... that?" Wendy panted.

"I have no idea," I said.

"Ford!" Grunkle Stan randomly screamed out.

"Huh?" Wendy and I both said in unison.

"Ford is still in there!" Grunkle Stan shouted with pain in his voice.

I felt my heart stop as I stared at the Mystery Shack. Parts where falling and fire was eating away at the building. We barley made it out. A huge chunk fell of the building blocking our old exit.

There was no hope of Ford getting out.

A/N

Hello lovelies, as I promised here is an update. I have so many test next week so I probably won't update until a bit, but I'm always working on the story! Has anyone else started school yet? If so, what grade? I love hearing about all my readers. Anyway, thanks for reading, remember to vote and share. ilysm, bye 😊