seniors

buzz buzz buzz.

  Maya opened her tired eyes and saw Riley dancing around the dorm room, already dressed and ready. "Riley, it's literally five am. We have two hours until class."

  "Maya, how can you not be excited? We're seniors again!" Riley spun around again. "This may be one of the most exciting years of our lives. I'm getting married, we're graduating and joining the real world. What could be better, peaches?" 

  "Yeah, what could be better." Maya replied as she sighed and placed her pillow over her face.

↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ 

  Riley swung open the door to their classroom while jumping up and down. "That never gets old!" Riley exclaimed. Nothing could contain her pure and authentic excitement. 

"Yeah it does." Maya differed, clutching her backpack's strap and squeezing through the doorway. The girls walked up to their best friends: Zay, Isadora, Lucas and Farkle.

"Farkley!" Riley said with giggles as she intertwined her fingers with her fiancée's.

  "Well hello, Riles!" He grinned, kissing her on the cheek. Maya could turn her head so she didn't have to watch but she was used to it by now. She literally was living up to the reputation of her adoptive father, Shawn Hunter. Maya might as well be the Shawn to Cory and Topanga. More recently, it was Maya along with Riley and Farkle.

  "Okay, everyone, how excited are you for this year?" Lucas questioned. He had one arm around his wife and the other holding textbooks.

  "Hyped, man, hyped! We're almost done." Zay chuckled as he pumped his fist in the air.

  "I think this year will be just perfect," Farkle began. "We all are growing up."

  Maya closed her eyes tight at those words. She muttered under her breathe, "Yeah, soon we'll all grown up and nothing will ever be the same."

  "What did you say Maya?" Riley questioned, furrowing her eyebrows at her best friend.

  Just then the bell rang.

"Alright. We better be off!" Maya said, hurrying into class, leaving her best friends wondering why she was acting so off.

↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ 

  "My people!" Zay said as he ran out into the hallway where all the friend group was huddled. "We should go do something to celebrate becoming college seniors. Who's in?" 

"Me!" They all exclaimed at once.

↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎

  After a long few games of mini golf, the gang grabbed some pizzas and went to sit in the park to eat. Every time they sat and laughed with each other, it reminded them of growing up together. They had gone through elementary school and middle school together, then high school, and now, college. It felt like everything was coming to a close.

  Lucas decided to break the lightheartedness for a moment. "Uh, so how is everyone feeling about this being our last year of college together? What are all of you thinking will be your next steps? I know for Izzy and I, we're really excited to graduate and move to Europe. But, I also know that it will be emotional. Things are going to change." The group was silent. Everyone needed a moment to process what was said. "I'm sorry guys. Maybe I shouldn't have said that.-"

  Zay cut him off. "No, my man. This is an important conversation. We'll need to continue and expound upon it during this final year. Things will change. I know I am excited to move to Texas for baseball and Vanessa. We've waited so long to stop long distance. It will be worth it."

  "That's great. I'm really excited for you guys." Isadora chirped up.

  Farkle thought for a moment and then decided to speak up. "I know things will be different. Nothing can ever stay the same forever, but it'll be worth it. Our lives are really just beginning. Riley and I are getting married in December. We're really excited for that."

  "Yeah, I guess I haven't really thought about it much. It's crazy to be graduating from college this time instead of college. We were so young." Riley said with a somber smile.

  "Maya? How are you feeling?" Farkle asked. He knew that she was the type to shut out any emotions and hide in her shell. He also knew that she'd grown a lot over the years.

  She chuckled. "Uh, ya know, being a counselor will be cool." Maya's blue eyes glazed and all of a sudden all her thoughts came pouring down on her.

Josh. Where was he? She hasn't seen him since freshman year when they decided to play the long game. He never called. He never sent a letter. He just left her hanging, like everyone else.

"Maya, are you okay?" Riley crawled over to her on the blanket, wrapping her long arms around her best friend. "I'm serious."

"I'm always fine."

"No. What's wrong?" Riley whispered. She eyed Farkle and mouthed to him to say something.

"Maya, we have good ears. You can tell us anything. You know that." Farkle reminded her.

"Okay." She paused and took a deep breathe. "It's just,"

↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎↠︎ ↠︎