our life

The sweet scent of coffee filled the little cafe, while people buzzing in and out of it. It was five thirty in the morning and today was the newlywed's second day of their honeymoon. They were going to go parasailing and Maya was beaming with excitement. To wake them up, they went to grab a coffee before beginning their three hour drive to Honolulu.  

  "Hello. What may I get for you?" An older brunette asked, swooning his practiced politeness.

  Josh smiled at the cashier. "Hi. I'll take a grande cold brew."

  "Name?" The guy questioned again, sharpie and the cup in his hand.

  "Josh." 

  The man wrote Josh in fine hand writing and handed the cup to his associate beside him who would prepare the drink. He looked over at Maya, "Anything for you, ma'am?"

  "I'll take a venti iced vanilla latte, please." She sweetly replied.

  "And, your name?" 

  "Mrs Maya Matthews. Oh, Mrs spelled 'M-R-S', because i'm married now." She giggled, looking at Josh who was beaming himself.

  The man rolled his eyes and proceeded to write just plain ole Maya.

  "Um, sir." Maya chirped up. "You forgot Mrs, and Matthews."

  He looked up at her, distastefully. "Nope."

  "You are very rude, sir. I-"

  Josh held back his chuckles, but grabbed Maya's hand. "Babe,"

  "Five dollars and thirty cents, please." The guy said frantically. 

  Josh paid the man, got their drinks and they walked out. Once they got outside, he began laughing hysterically. 

  "What?" Maya asked as she crossed her arms across her chest. She searched his face for a reason for the hysteria, but couldn't find one.

  "You were ready to take that man out because he only wrote your first name!" He chuckled.

  "Well, it is very exciting for me, being married and all." 

  A smirk formed on his lips, and he laughed. "You sure are one cute girl."

  "Thanks, now lets get on the road. Parasailing is calling our name!"

  He groaned. "Maya, you know i'm terrified of heights. Especially over the ocean.. with sharks!"

  "You sound just like Riley. Oh, right!" She put her hand on his shoulder. "You are a Matthews!"

  His eyes twinkled. "You are a Matthews too, you know?" 

  "Yes, sir, I do. But, I do not have Matthews' blood. I have Hart blood." 

  He smirked again, imagining the future. "You know, babe.. when we have kids, they will be the perfect mix of innocence and bubbly personality, with a bit of spice thrown in."

  "Yeah," Her lips pursed into a smiled.

↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ 

  About an hour into their drive, Josh brought the topic up again. "I can see it now: a little blonde girl, just like you."

  She giggled and looked over at him, focused on the road. "You're still thinking about it, huh?"

  He chuckled, "Yeah."

  "Me too." Maya agreed, lost in her own thoughts herself.

  His eyes grew wide. She snickered, "What?"

  "That's really awesome to hear. I knew you said you probably would have kids, but you also said that some days, you didn't know if you could handle kids. I didn't know if your childhood would effect our future when it came to little ones." He slowly talked, thinking through every thought before he spoke. "Sorry for saying that."

  She took his free hand into hers. "No, Josh. It's okay. That's true. I have always told Riley that I didn't want kids. She has daydreamed about her future forever and ever and ever. Not me. I didn't want to think about love, especially not being a mom. But, now, you've taught me that love isn't scary. I shouldn't have been afraid to love you, or to love a child. I feel like I'd be an okay mom and you're the only person I would ever want to experience that with."

  He had tears in his eyes, just seeing the change in the girl that once was so little and had so much hurt in her broken heart. "Maya, that's amazing. I can't wait to be a dad, but mostly to see you as a mom. You have so much love in your heart. Goodness, I don't know what I'll do when I see you become a mom. I'll probably cry my eyeballs out. I have loved watching you change and also helping put back together the brokenness in your life. I love you, Maya."

  "I love you so much!" Maya grinned through tears. 

↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ 

  "Listen up, ladies and gentlemen! You're about to parasail. How about that?  Okay, we will go in groups of six. In our first group we have Ryan, Olivia, Jack, Hailey, Joshua and Maya! Let's go!"

  The instructor lead them all to the sails where they were harnessed in and they flew up high.

  "Aaah!" Josh cried, clutching Maya's hand for security. 

  "Wimp." Maya muttered under her breath.

  "Hey!"Josh yelped defensively. 

  They had an amazing time, although Josh was horrified most of the time.

  They had one more day left in Hawaii, and they were happy to be home soon.

↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎