feelings

"It's just," Maya stopped and took a deep breathe.

  "Maya , you can tell us anything. We want to be here for you. You just have to let us." Riley rubbed her best friend's shoulders, trying to comfort and encourage her.

  "Goodness, I'll sound so pathetic." Maya chuckled as wiped her eyes. 

  "No, no you won't." Lucas reminded her. "We all go through stuff, but it's better we go through it together, right? That's why we have each other."

  Maya sighed a breathe of relief and then finally let it all fall off her shoulders. "Everything is going to change, guys, and I know that. It just all feels so uncertain. When we graduated from high school, I thought that was the craziest day of my life. Everything was so new. Now things will really change."

  Riley piped up, "Maya, we're always going to be together-"

  "No we're not, Riley! Can't you see it? Everything is going to change. Lucas and Isadora are moving to Europe. Zay is moving to Texas. You and Farkle are getting married."

  "Maya, we're staying in New York. Aren't you?" Farkle questioned.

  Everyone glanced at each other, the tension rising. Maya choked out her words, "I don't know."

  "Wha-? You don't know? Maya!" Riley sat up on straight and turned to her friend, flustered.

  "Riley! You're getting married. Things won't ever be the same. I'm just like Shawn with your parents. I can see why he left after you were born, Riles. Life changes."

  "He regrets that every day. You know that. Ask him."

  "I will.."

  "Maya, what else is bothering you?" Riley asked. She could tell there was more being held in Maya's heart. "Please tell me."

  Maya laid back, her blonde hair on the grass. "I don't want to leave and I don't plan to. It's just that you all have someone to make life decisions with. I just wish he'd come back."

  "Who? Shawn? Maya, he's your dad now. At home with Katy." Zay asked stupidly.

  Maya chuckled at the comment. "Josh."

  "Oh." echoed around the group. Maya kept talked. "It's so stupid, I know. He said he'd play the long game. He said someday we could be something. He said that he would be out there.. and I would too. It may never work out, but it is all that I think about." Maya sighed. 

  Isadora set her hand on Maya's. "I'm so sorry Maya."

  Riley laid back by Maya and looked at her. "Peaches, I'm so sorry that my uncle hasn't come back yet. I know. I have been waiting for him too. I can't believe he never came back. When he does show up, I am going to give him a good talking to."

  Maya chuckled but then Riley kept on, "You are so talented, Maya. You will do great things. Don't let this ruin your senior year. Josh will come home, I promise."

 "How do you know?"Maya's eyes looked as if they were filling with hope.

  "I just do."

  "What if it isn't the same? What if he doesn't even still think about me?" Her hopeful eyes broke and she was more flustered than ever.

  "No one could ever forget you." Riley grabbed her best friends hands. "You are irreplaceable."

  She thanked her and they embraced each other in a warm hug. "Riley," Maya grinned. "I think I'll just give Josh a good talking to myself."