ember hope [2]

M A Y A

  I was rolled into labor and delivery and I knew very well that I was ready to meet our little girl. I scrunched my nose up as another contraction hit me. Josh looked down at me, noticing how I was feeling and kissed my forehead.

  The room flooded with nurses and doctors, all preparing the room. Josh stood by my head, holding my hand. Riley had my other hand, while Farkle stood next to her, white as a ghost.

  "You ready, peaches?" Riley asked me. Her voice was full of nerves for me, but she still stood tall, her very natural encouraging smile on her face.

  "As ready as I'll ever be." I said and she giggled.

  The room was set. The bed was ready. It was time. "You've got this, sweetie." Josh whispered in my ear.

  The doctor sat down, "All right, Maya. When you need feel the urge to push, push as hard as you can."

  I nodded and looked up at Josh who gave me an encouraging smile. All of a sudden, I felt the urge to push and I followed my body's lead. I yanked on Josh's hand.

  "Great job." The doctor encouraged. "Same thing next time, Maya."

  I winced in pain again and I pushed. I tried my very best. I pushed for two minutes, finally nearing the end.

  "Okay, she's right here. Two big pushes." The doctor instructed.

  I yelped in pain as I pushed, yanking on Riley's hand as well.

  "That's it." Riley explained and she had a look of terror on her face.

  I pushed again and this time I grabbed the nearest thing to me, which happened to be Farkle.

  "Ow, ow," I whimpered. Farkle looked petrified, I might add.

  "Okay, head's out. One more push and you'll meet your baby."

  "C'mon, Maya! You're so strong! One more!" Josh exclaimed, clutching my hand.

  I obeyed and pushed hard. I heard baby cries. I looked up at Josh, who had tears in his eyes.The doctor laid her on my chest and tears poured down my face.

  "Oh my goodness, she's here." I cried. "Our baby is here. Oh my goodness."

  Josh brushed the hair out of my face and slipped it into a hair tie. He gently rubbed his finger on her chubby cheeks. "Baby, she's beautiful."

  The doctor asked Josh if he wanted to cut the cord, and he agreed. I turned my head over to Riley and Farkle. She had tears in her eyes, and Farkle had a mixed look of terror, awe, and thankfulness.

  "She is so perfect, peaches. I love you so much." Riley gawked and I giggled. The baby let out a soft cry and Riley smirked, "I love you too, baby peaches."

  "I love you, Riles." I smiled at her. "Before long, you two will have a little baby in your arms too."

  "Oh, don't remind me." Farkle cringed. "I am so excited to meet her, but watching this, wow."

  "Fark," Riley warned.

  "Sorry, babe."