today

It was Sunday morning and Maya was sitting at a table in the cafe. Her mom had a shift at the cafe that morning and Shawn was out of town for the weekend on business, so she had decided to stay at the cafe keeping her mom  company. She was doing playing with her phone and her mom was serving some customers.

  Ding

  Maya looked up to see a old couple come in holding hands. They're cute, she thought to herself.

  Ding

  She looked up and saw a mom come in with a stroller, her two little ones inside. It made her envision her best friends with a baby of their own. It was a crazy thought, but it was reality.

  Ding

  Maya looked up once more to see a guy. Tall stature, dark hair. She looked down and then it hit her. It was Josh. She tried to act cool, but the truth was that she didn't know how to act. The guy that she loved so much had left and never returned. How was she supposed to feel?

  Josh walked over to Maya and slid the chair out that was next to her. "Is it okay if I sit here?"

  Maya looked up, her eyes full of thankfulness and pain, which hurt Josh's heart. "Yeah, sure."

  They sat there in silence for about ten minutes. Maya played on her phone while Josh just sat there. He knew that he had hurt her. He didn't know if he could ever fix that. Josh finally broke the silence. "Maya, I know you are probably really mad at me, but-"

  Maya cut him off. She was angry. "But what, Josh? I have every right to be mad at you. You left when I was fifteen and never once called or texted. I'm twenty-one, Josh."

  He took a deep breathe. He felt the guilt on his shoulders. "Maya, when I said I was in it for the long game, I meant it. I had to keep going with my life. You were so young. Fifteen! I have feelings for you still. I came back, for you."

  Maya's eyes filled with tears. She didn't know how to respond. "Really? You think you can walk back into my life six years later and everything will go back to normal. That's what everyone seems to think about me in my life, but that's not how it works, Joshua."

  He grabbed her hands. "Maya Hart-"

  "Hunter. Maya Hunter. Shawn married my mom, Josh." 

  Josh furrowed his brows. "Oh. Maya Hunter, you know that I never wanted to hurt you. I really like you a lot."

  "I-I just don't know if I can trust you," She paused. "Yet." She was trying her hardest not to cry, but the tears were burning at her eyes, and she couldn't hold it in. "I really like you too. I haven't been able to stop thinking about you. I just don't know what to say."

  "I am so sorry, Maya. I never meant to hurt you. I understand if you don't want to see me ever again. I wouldn't blame you if you did." He stood up and walked to the door.

  She stood up. "No. I don't want that. I need time but I still want to spend time with each other and see what happens next. I missed you."

  A smile grew widely on his face. "I missed you too, Maya."

↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ 

  After he left the cafe, everything seemed to be a blur. She was thinking about every word she said, every word that he had said. "Mom?" Maya asked, grabbing her backpack and walking over to the cafe's counter.  

  "Yeah, baby girl?" Katy replied as she scrubbed the spoiled plates.

  "I'm heading to Riley's. See you later!" Maya kissed her mom on the cheek and went on her way to the Matthews. Her feet couldn't go any faster. All she wanted to do was talk to her best friends. She stopped instantly, her feet skidding to a stop and almost falling on her face. What if he is there?  She knew that she couldn't be afraid to face people anymore.

  Fast as lightning, she flew through the crowds downtown, up the flight of stairs and up to the Matthews door. Breathe. She swung the door open to see the whole family, including Josh, sitting in their living room talking. She chuckled. How ironic. "What's up Matthews family?" Maya said in her confident tone of voice.

  "Peaches!" Riley said while running up and embracing Maya. She had wide eyes and she hurried to whisper in her ear. "Josh's home."

  "I know, hun." Maya grinned, letting go of her friend and heading over to their kitchen and grabbing an apple. She could feel the tension in the room but she was bold and brave. She didn't want to be afraid anymore. Shawn had taught her a few lessons about being confident and vulnerable at the same time: something he had to learn himself over the years.

  She walked into the living room and took a seat next to Riley. "So, what are we talking about? "

  Josh's eyes moved quickly away from the girl laughing, eating an apple. There was an awkwardness between them that he'd never felt before. She had grown up.

  Cory looked at his wife and then back at his daughter's best friend. "You." 

  "Oh," Maya smirked at Josh, biting into her apple. "So I'm hot topic? I like the sound of that."

  Josh could feel his cheeks burning. Hopefully Maya couldn't tell he was nearly blushing. Her blonde hair was swinging with every word that came out of her mouth. How was she so confident in herself all the time? He loved that about her.

  "Well, I guess so." Topanga laughed. She hadn't aged a bit over the years. Her long hair still swayed when she talked and Cory was still, well, mesmerized. 

  Josh chuckled and decided to speak for himself. "Yeah, I told you I never stopped thinking about you." He smiled. "Well, I best be off. I need to unpack my new apartment."

  Maya's eyes widened. "Apartment?"

  Josh grinned. "That's right. Didn't I tell you I was here for good?"

  "You didn't, but that's good to know." Maya smiled. 

  "Alright, bye family!" Josh grabbed his backpack off the kitchen table, then he paused and turned to Maya. "Would you want to hang out tomorrow? When's your last class?"

  Maya tried to play it cool. "Sounds good. My class ends at three.  I will meet you at the entrance about then, okay?"

  "Sure thing. I'll be there." He went to give her a hug, but shied away. He shut the door.

  Loud screams. Maya turned around to see Riley skipping around the apartment, going absolutely crazy. "Honey, calm down. You're going to hurt yourself."

  "I know! I can't help it. I told you he'd come back." Riley cheered even more.

  "He saw me at the cafe. I'll be honest, I wasn't very nice. I told him I still think about him but that after six years of being gone with zero attempts at contacting me, he will need to prove to me that he's staying for good." Maya explained.

  "You're fire, girl." Topanga jumped in. 

↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎