baby meets home

[riley - 36 weeks]
[paxton - 3 1/2 m. ember - 1 day old]

J O S H

  "Good morning, sweet baby." I cooed as I scooped up Ember. "You got more sleep than us, little one."

  Maya rubbed her eyes as she woke up from a somewhat decent nap. "How's she doing?"

  "She's good. Maya, look at her. She's perfect, and she looks so different."

  "Oh, I saw her a whole lot last night. She wanted a whole bunch of milk." Maya chuckled and Ember let out a cry. "There she calls again, 'milk! milk!'"

  I slipped Ember out of her blanket and handed her over. Maya turned her in, belly to belly and nursed her.

  "Maya, it still feels so surreal. Like, in a few hours, we will bring her home." I gawked.

  She looked up at me, her cheeks glowing. "Yeah, I know. It's unreal."

  Just then, a nurse walked in. "Hi, Maya, Josh, Ember. Today you get to go home! We need you to sign the birth certificate and the discharge papers."

  I agreed and walked over by her. She handed the certificate to me. I wrote down 'Ember Hope Matthews' and then signed my name. Maya signed her name and it was official.

  We filled out discharge papers and we had to get Ember dressed and I had to get the car seat. I'm sure glad we got it early!

M A Y A

  Josh left to go the car seat, leaving Ember and I alone. I pulled out the cute little outfit Riley had helped me pick out: a purple onesie with pants that had polka dots on it.

  I slipped off her hospital outfit. She was so so tiny. I put on her outfit and she looked so cute.

  "Hi, Ember. I'm your mommy, and I love you very much." I whispered.

  Ember batted her long lashes, making me notice her bright blue eyes like mine.

  "Maya,"

  I looked up to see Josh standing there, leaning against the doorway. He held the car seat in his hand.

  "You ready?" He asked.

  "Yes. Let's take our little girl home."

  The nurse wheeled Maya out as I carried the car seat with our pumpkin in it. Our family.

  We got in the car and we turned into the interstate. My mind was racing. You have extra responsibility. You have your baby in the car. Drive slow, no quicker! People, careful.

  Finally, we walked up to the apartment and I unlocked in. When we walked inside..

  "Surprise!"

  Riley and Farkle had the place covered with streamers and a cute sign that said, 'Welcome Home Ember!'

  Riley clutched her big bump and Farkle steadied her as they cheered. We covered our mouths in excitement.

  "Riley, Farkle, oh my goodness!" I was shook. Hormones.

  Riley giggled. "I was hoping you'd like it. Farkle did way better with the sign this time!"

  Farkle smirked, "Guess so."

  "Can I, uh, hold her?" Riley asked nervously.

  "Of course! But first, Josh has to change her poopy diaper." I chucked.

  "Uh," he stuttered.

  "This will be Boing's first diaper change." I snickered.

  Josh pulled out the supplies and laid Ember down. "Ew, I need a hazmat suit." He shuttered.

  "I changed all of her diapers at the hospital. The nurses never did one!" I said proudly. Farkle and Riley just watched, laughing.

  "So, how are you, Riley?" I asked as I got an apple from the kitchen. After all the work my body did, I was starved.

  "Good. Impatient, but good." She sighed. "I want my baby to come before I can't even deliver her."

  "You'll do great!"

  "Yeah, I'm not so sure. And Farkle! Oh my," she sighed again.

  "He'll step up. Josh did."

  "I hope."

  "I know."

  Just then, Josh held Ember up lion king style. "The princess' diaper is clean! Want her, Riley?"

  Riley squealed. "Yay!"

R I L E Y

  I held Ember in my arms. I set her on my belly a bit, but our baby kicked.

  "Your best friend doesn't like you sitting on her, but if you're like Maya, she'll get used to it." I chuckled.

  "I can't believe she's here and she's ours." Maya chirped suddenly.

  I smiled, "I know."

J O S H

  It was late at night and we all climbed into bed. Ember was asleep in her bassinet and we were snuggled up.

  "Josh?" Maya asked me.

  "Hm?"

  "I love you,"

  "and I love you."