closer

[ maya - 36 weeks. riley - 34 weeks. ]

J O S H

  The girls had both hit their final trimesters and we were very excited to meet the babies. Both Riley and Maya went to the same doctor, so we arranged the last ultrasound to be a joint one so we could all be together.

  "Riley, are you ready yet?" Farkle called out as he tapped his hands on the apartments door, trying to have patience.

  "Yeah! Maya and I are coming!" She hollered from the bathroom. Seconds later, they walked out and we stood in awe of them.

  Maya looked so perfect. Her baby bump was dressed perfectly as usual and Maya glowed more than ever.

  "Stop staring, boing. Let's go." She snapped me out my thoughts.

  "Okay, let's go."

  Farkle and Riley hopped in their car while we got in ours. I started our engine and looked over at Maya.

  She giggled, "I'm super happy to see our baby and also to see baby Minkus."

  "Me too! I'm so excited to do this with them. It's crazy to believe that my niece and dr. turtleneck are having a kid." I chuckled.

  "Yeah, but I always expected them to be together. Don't forget, nobody expected us to end up together with a baby." She smiled as she added.

  "True."

M A Y A

  "The Matthews and the Minkus'?" A nurse called as she swung open the door to the waiting room.

  We stood up and walked into the family size ultrasound room. The nurse held a clipboard in one hand and gel in the other.

  "Okay, I am assuming you're best friends, pregnant at the same time?" The nurse pointed at the Riley and I. We nodded and she smiled. "Who wants to go first?"

  Riley looked at me and I nodded for her to go first. She smiled, "I will."

  "Very well," the woman said and she looked at the guys. "Which one is the father? Him?" She pointed at Josh.

  Farkle burst up, "Woah, woah, woah! That's her uncle! I, Farkle Minkus, am the baby's daddy."

  I let out a burst of laughter at his sudden reaction. Riley blushed terribly but the nurse smiled and shrugged it off. She must hear things quite often.

  "Sweetie, you lay here and lift your shirt, please. Baby daddy, you stand by her." The nurse smirked.

  Farkle then was blushing terribly also and Josh and I snickered.

  The screen came on to show a little face. The nurse scanned and then pointed around. "Your baby girl's nose, eyes, toes, fingers."

  "Farkle, look!" Riley cooed as Farkle held her hand in his.

  "I am, I am." He reassured her. "She's beautiful. Just like you, Riles."

  The nurse measured the amniotic fluid and guesstimated the weight. "Well, Riley, you seem to be right on track. Okay, now Maya and.." she looked at her paper. "Joshua."

  I smiled at Josh as we walked over and I swapped places with Riley. The nurse began the ultrasound and suddenly we saw her.

  She went through the same routine as she did with Riley. "Nose, eyes, toes, fingers," She did the measuring and then turned off the machine. "Maya, you are almost thirty-seven weeks?"

  "Yes." I began to shake afraid it was bad news. "Tomorrow."

"Your baby girl seems to be preparing for delivery already. I think she's trying to beat her little friend. When is your next appointment?"

  "Tomorrow,"

  "Okay, well nothing to worry about but you may have a baby sooner than forty weeks." She left the room and I felt a sigh of relief. Ok good, nothing bad.

L U C A S

  "Hey guys!" I exclaimed as we entered the café while I held Paxton. "Long time no see!" We had decided to meet up at our spot since everyone had been so busy.

  "Oh, my, goodness!" Maya exclaimed as she waddled over to me and awed over Pax.

  "Oh, nice to see you too." I chuckled as she just looked up at me, an eyebrow raised.

  "You're not the hotshot anymore, huckleberry." Maya snickered and Paxton smiled.

  "His first smile!" Izzy exclaimed as she clapped her hands.

  "See, heehaw, your son thinks you're a huckleberry too." Maya jumped up and down.

  The whole evening was spent talking about our college endeavors and the babies.