ultrasound

F A R K L E

March 1st.

  We had hit the month in school when we felt like we had so much to do, but we only had three months left until we ended the school year. Usually we did not feel the pressure as strong but with graduation flying towards us and with babies on the way, all of us felt it. Three months left.

  Riley and I were fifteen weeks along with our baby, Maya and Josh were sixteen weeks and Lucas and Isadora were twenty-eight weeks along. 

  "Hey! Do you guys want to go to the beach? You know, to relax a bit." I suggested hopeful, as we piled out of the library after studying for hours on end.

  "Yeah, sounds fine with me." Maya agreed. "I'll text Josh. He probably can come too." 

  "Izzy, are you up for it?" Lucas asked Isadora as she clutched her bump. 

  "Mm, sure. Just make sure you wait up for me, you all. " she chuckled. "I am starting to feel huge and I have some sort of waddle going on."

  We all laughed and continued walking. We climbed onto the subway and started to the apartments to get our things. The subway door opened and it was Lucas and Isadora's stop. 

  "Bye, guys! We'll be there at three!" Lucas hollered as he helped his wife off the large subway.

  Finally, our time came and we got off. We went to our apartments and got changed into our swim suits. Riley also packed our picnic basket full of sodas and chips.

  "Hey Riles. You hungry?" I asked curiously, playfully teasing her like always.

  She just smirked. "Ha-ha. Quite funny. I have to feed two people and if I remember correctly, you had something to do with that, so no time for jokes." 

  I laughed. She was adorable as always; she wore a cute little dress over her swimsuit that showed off her little bump that was just starting to show.

J O S H

  "Maya, sweetheart, are you ready yet?" I asked, knocking on the bathroom door. We were all waiting to leave and she hadn't come out with her suit on yet.

  "I am not going, boing." she fiercely yelled from inside.

  "What? Why?" I was so confused, even more that usually. Imagine that! 

  "I look ugly in my swimsuit." she whined.

  "Maya, that is not even possible! Come on out, let me see." 

 She opened the door timidly, slowly sliding out from behind the door. She stood there, in her cute swimsuit, just as gorgeous as always. "Maya, you look gorgeous."

  "No. I look fat."

  I sighed. "Babe, you don't. That's our baby growing." I encouraged her the best I could.

  "Riley's bump is hardly noticeable yet. I look very pregnant."

  "No, you don't. Every baby is different, you know. Just come on, you look great." She rolled her eyes but agreed because she wanted to enjoy the sunshine.

Help Maya not have a hormonal melt down? Check!

M A Y A 

  We very much enjoyed time relaxing with our friends. Isadora and Lucas talked about their further preparations for their little boy as they were getting closer. 

  Farkle and Riley talked about how they couldn't wait to have their first ultrasound in two weeks and how they were finding out the gender. Since Farkle was a nervous wreck, he encouraged Riley to not have an ultrasound early on as they didn't want to hurt the baby. 

  I couldn't believe that I was having my first ultrasound the next day. We could possibly find out the gender but we weren't sure fully. We piled into the car, grabbed ice cream and went to the pier. We walked around, talking. The wind felt nice during this somewhat California spring. Finally we went home and crashed. Now for our big day!

J O S H

  "Maya Matthews?" a nurse called and we followed her. She led us back into a room where she instructed Maya to lie down. "Okay, sweetie. I am going to put gel on your belly. It may be cold, but watch this screen and you'll see your baby."

  Maya flinched at the icy gel on her bare belly, but looked at the screen with wide eyes. There was our baby, moving around. 

  The woman smiled, "Hm, I think we can tell the gender by now, seeing as you're sixteen weeks. Want me to see?"

  We nodded anxiously and she smiled, "You're having a girl!"

  "Maya, a baby girl!" I kissed her forehead.

  Now, time to tell our friends and family.

↠︎ 

  That evening we gathered all our friends and family to share the news. Everyone was anxious to hear the news. "We are having a girl!" we announced together, our hands clutched together.

  Cheers burst through the room and we smiled.

  This was it; I was going to have a daughter and give her a world.

  "Maya, I am so glad we are having a girl. I have always wanted a baby girl."

  She grinned ear to ear, "Me too, surprisingly. I always wanted to give a little girl a world to live her dreams out in."

  "And we will."