surprise

"Farkle! Move it over. No, up! Farkle, make it straight!" Riley exclaimed, scolding her fiancé on how to put up the 'see you later, alligator' banner. "Farkle, make it perfect!"

  "This good?" He asked while practically dangling off the ladder. 

  "Good enough." She sighed, her hands on her face.

  Farkle climbed down, took a glance at the sign and walked over to Maya who was secretly trying to take a cookie from the fancy platter Riley had set out. "I saw that!" He chuckled, grabbing one for himself. "I never knew putting up a sign could be so much work."

  "You know, man, that was just a taste of what you're gonna get once you marry her." Maya laughed, warning her best friend, acting as if he didn't know.

  "Ha! I know. But, she's worth it." He said with a chuckle. They turned around to Isadora. She was standing with a clipboard, fully prepared with party details and instructions.

  "Lucas is with Zay. They'll be at the ball park until about five. Then, they'll come back and we'll surprise him." Isadora announced. 

  It was two weeks later, the weekend before Zay left. This was their goodbye for now party and it made Maya's heart hurt. They were a family and deep down, she was scared that when one left, they all would. And, that, shook her beyond words. 

↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ 

  "Surprise!" The cafe was full of friends, family and teachers. Balloons were everywhere and Riley had arranged for everyone to pull party poppers when he walked in.

  "What in the world? Ya'll are the best!" Zay exclaimed, tearing up at the sight. 

  "All for you, man!" Lucas said, embracing his buddy.

  "Wow! Look at those balloons and food." Zay began again. "Oh, and that sign!"

  Farkle grinned at Riley, "See, babe, at least he likes my work."

  "Oh, whatever!" She hissed, her hands on her hips, causing him to smirk at her uncontrollably. She was someone who loved things to be perfect, and he loved it to no extent.

  "You know I love you." He smiled, pulling her close.

  "Yeah, I sorta do." She blushed and he placed a gentle kiss on her forehead, seeing he was way taller than her.

  "Okay, I don't want to ruin a party here. But, no PDA at my party, thank you very much!" Zay yelled playfully, leaving an astonished couple and a laughing group of friends.

  "Fineh." The couple barked in unison.

↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ 

  "Hey, Maya? Can I talk to you?" Josh asked as he tapped on his girlfriend's shoulder. She was dancing to the cha cha slide with the rest of the farewell party partiers. She spun around, nodded and took his hand as they walked outside for a minute. Josh's palms were sweaty and he was a nervous wreck from what Maya could tell. What was so important, she thought to herself, confusedly. "Maya, I-I," He stuttered.

  "What? Are you okay?" She looked at him, confused and curious. 

  He took a deep breath. Now or never. "Maya, I love you so much. I came back for one reason and one reason only, you. I want to love you forever. What if - before your friend leaves - we get married?" This was it, the moment she had been waiting for all her life. He kept on. "I know it is so sudden and we've only been dating three and a half weeks. We could get married tomorrow at my parent's house. I understand if you think that's crazy-"

  "YES!" She grabbed him and kissed him. "They're going to think we're absolutely insane but that doesn't really matter. I love us."

↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ 

  "Guys! Hello? Can you even hear me? No point!" Maya tried to get their attention, but they couldn't hear. She climbed on a table, "Riley Eleanor Matthews!!" 

  Riley turned around, shocked. "Oh, there you are! We just cut the cake. What's up?" She asked, biting into a piece of chocolate cake.

  "Josh just proposed!" She announced. Everyone stopped and listened, while Riley's mouth just dropped. "He wants to get married tomorrow at his parent's house, while Zay is still here." Riley dropped the cake on the work tonight. Maya just laughed. She knew this was the response they'd get.

  "Well, that was fast." Lucas snickered and Isadora smacked his arm. 

  "Watch it, Huckleberry." Maya scolded, giggling.

  "Well, if we are gonna do this, we have a lot to do." Riley said.

  ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎