out of all the stars

J O S H

  I had an idea and I was determined to make it happen. I flew up the stairs and flung open the door to the apartment. Maya sat there, chomping on potato chips, while sipping a coke. She cocked her head to the side, ruffling her eyebrows in confusion. "What in the world are you up to?"

  "Maya, come with me." I spat out urgently, grabbing her hand and pulling her up. I grabbed two sleeping bags, two pillows and some cash and rushed out to the car. 

  Maya halted and placed a hand on her hip. "I am not just leaving until I know where we are going! I'll try again. What in the world are you up to?" 

  I grinned, "Trust me?"

  She let out a sigh and smirked while nodding her head yes. I revved the engine of my truck while she hopped in and buckled her seat belt. I pulled out of our apartment complex and Maya started surfing through the stations. She landed on a station that was playing popular songs.

Baby I don't need dollar bills to have fun tonight
(I love cheap thrills)
Baby I don't need dollar bills to have fun tonight
(I love cheap thrills)
But I don't need no money
As long as I can feel the beat
I don't need no money
As long as I keep dancing

  She danced and her long, beautiful blonde hair flipped around to the music. I could see her out of the corner of my eye and she made my heart so happy; so so happy. My wife, Maya Penelope.

M A Y A

  His hand was intertwined with mine, and we drove without a care in the world. The breeze blew his brown hair around, he sang his heart out with every song that played, and he laughed a lot.

  I dozed off, my mind wandering off into the distance. Sometime later, I was awoken by Josh shaking my shoulder gently. "Hey, baby, wake up."

  I opened my eyes just enough to see him standing at the car door, his arms full of what we had brought and a bag. I shivered as the cold air hit my skin and Josh held out his hand for me to take. I agreed and he pulled me close to him, wrapping a blanket around my shoulders.

  "For my girl." 

  I smiled shyly at his comment. We've been married for a little bit now; I should be used to his comments, right? Well, I am not. He still makes my heart flutter and my cheeks blush.

  I looked around to notice we were at the same place we first came together and where we got married. It was so perfect still; just this old little rotting parking garage. Weird, right?

  "Josh, what are we doing here?" I asked, which he just returned with a sly grin. We started walking; up and up and up and up. Finally, we got to the top. Still as gorgeous.

  "We are going to sleep here tonight." Josh announced with is huge smile on his face.

  I giggled and sighed, "The things I do for a Matthews."

  He chuckled, "We do have our ways. How about these m&ms and icees that I bought?"

  "Let's eat 'em!"

J O S H

  The moonlight was bright, but all I could see was my wife. Maya giggled as she slurped her coke icee, laying in the sleeping bag next to me. I looked up at the sky. It was full of stars. I could see which ones were the brightest and which were not. It almost reminds me of how Riley believes so much in Pluto that it kills her to know it isn't a planet anymore. Tiny, yet powerful.

  I was brought back into reality by an m&m hitting my face. I looked up to see Maya inches from my face, still slurping the icee. "What were you thinking about? You seemed lost in thought." 

  "I was looking at the stars, Maya." I began as she wrinkled up her nose as she smiled and scooted closer as if she was a child listening to a story.

  "Go on."

  "I was looking at all those stars that are so bright, they're almost blinding. You hardly notice the ones that aren't shining so bright. But, when you do, they are better in reality."

  She smiled at me and just looked at me with those darling blue eyes that could kill somedays. I went on because those stars reminded me of something that meant the world to me.

  "Maya, those stars remind me of you. I was so, so blinded by all the girls my age; you know, the ones I thought could be mine some day. I couldn't see past our age, or even them with their looks or personalities. I mean, they were great too. But, not as great as you have been to me."

  I could see tears welling in those ocean eyes, which meant that the words meant a lot to her. I meant it. "Maya Penelope, you are my star. You brought light into my world. When I finally came to the realization that I liked you, at ski lodge, I still was blinded. I just didn't know it. I did wait, I did. But, I still couldn't see past our age, even though I never ever dated another soul. When I got past that stupid fear of our age, or them, you beat them all. You are the brightest star I could have ever wished for. When I see stars, I try and pay attention to the not so shiny ones; they could be the best stars ever. Like you, sweetheart."

M A Y A

Tears dripped down my face; I felt like a tiny baby. I was never emotional, but something in him brought out a new side in me. But, what he said meant so much to me. I pulled him closer to me, "Josh, that means so much. You have no idea, really." 

  "Baby, you have no idea how much you mean to me." He smirked.

  I placed my hand on his cheek and pulled him into a kiss. "Thank you, Josh for rebuilding my trust, for marrying me suddenly, for everything. I love you."

  "I love you more than I could have ever imagined."