i do

Maya's stomach was in knots. What in the world was she thinking? A spontaneous wedding? Really? Sure, it worked for her mom and Shawn, but this wasn't going to work for her. She was sitting on the edge of her bed in the dorm room, soaking up the last minutes of being there. She was wearing Topanga's wedding dress and her mom's heels. Riley had curled her hair and done her makeup. She really was blessed.

  knock knock.

  "Come in." Maya said and the door cracked open, with Shawn and her mom there. "Hey."

  "Baby girl, how are you feeling?" Katy asked, sitting on the edge of the bed by her young daughter. She knew what it was like to get married spontaneously. 

  "I'm nervous." Maya sighed. "What if this is a huge mistake? We have only been dating a few weeks." Maya started pacing. "It worked for you guys, but for me? No-"

  "Maya, listen. You're smart - real smart. Kids like us - well - we learn to figure everything out. I also know from experience that we also overthink everything. If you love him, marry him. He's a good kid. I was there talking to him when he was still in the I.C.U. Trust your heart, kid." Shawn said, cutting her off. He set his hand on her shoulder while she talked.

  Maya crumbled in his arms. "I love you, dad."

  "I love you too. I always will be here for you, don't you ever forget that. We'll see you there."

↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ 

  "Wait, Riley! That was our turn! Your grandparent's house was back there." Maya yelled, trying to get Riley's attention, but she wouldn't listen. "Riley Eleanor!"

  "Maya, just relax. We are not going there." She chuckled.

  "No, no, no. Where are we going?" Maya whispered to herself. What had she gotten herself into?

↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ 

  After a few hours in the car, with Riley blasting music and Maya over thinking, they pulled into a familiar location. Maya looked around. The parking garage. On the way up the stairs to the place where Josh had first taken her, Maya saw lots of cars that she recognized. She was happy that she would have her family and friends there.

  Fairy lights were everywhere. They had everything from decorations to the wedding set up. It looked like a magical scene. She stood their from afar in awe, tears welling in her eyes. He has had this planned out for a while, she thought.

  Riley gave her best friend a reassuring smile as she walked towards the seating while Shawn walked over to her. "Hey. You ready to get married?"

  Maya chuckled. "Yes, I am. I just never imagined getting married in a parking garage. But, it's special. It's our spot now."

  Shawn smiled, "I love you, Maya. You and your mom are the best thing that ever happened to me. I can't wait to watch you two build your life together."

  "Thank you. I love you too." Maya giggled. She was so excited to see Josh.

↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ 

  The wedding march played and Shawn walked Maya down the isle. All those years that he was alone, he never thought he'd get to walk his daughter down the isle. She was a gift. He handed her hand to Josh. 

  "Who gives this woman to be married to this man?"

  "Her mother and I."

↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ 

  They had decided to write their own vows to make things more personal. Josh decided to go first. Cory handed him an envelope and he opened it, pulling out a beautifully designed sheet of paper. He looked at Maya and then back down at the paper. "Maya Penelope Hart Hunter, I want to spend every minute of every day with you. I regret every day the distance that I let grow between us but until the day I die, I will love you." 

  "I love you too." Maya said as she pulled a crumbled piece of paper out of the top of her dress. Josh chuckled at the sight. "I know. I'm sorry - I'm a bit of a mess." She unfolded the paper. "Joshua, I have loved you since the moment I met you. I was crazy and I'm surprised you even still talked to me after my middle school years." She laughed. "I love you and I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with you, and with this beautiful family of yours too."

↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ 

  "You may now kiss your bride!" The minister said with a grin.  Josh dipped Maya, while planting a passionate kiss on her lips. Cheers were exploding on top of that parking garage. "For the first time ever, I introduce to you - Mr. and Mrs. Joshua Gabriel Matthews!" Just then, confetti cannons went off, leaving a shocked bride, groom, bridal party and guests.

↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ 

  After the chairs were moved out of the way, the dinner was eaten and everyone broke it down on the makeshift dance floor, it came to the last dance: the father, daughter dance.

  "Maya, you ready?" Shawn asked, extending a hand to his daughter. She was absolutely stunning. Her blonde hair was curled and pulled back by pearl clips. He noticed her shoes: the ones that Katy wore on their wedding day. The wedding dress was Topanga's. He couldn't forget that day: the day that Cory and Topanga got married. The day he almost didn't show up at his best friend's wedding because he was scared of losing him.

  "Yes." She smiled and started dancing with him. They danced the whole song, talking about their lives before they met, when her mom married him and the future. 

  "I am glad you're my dad, Shawn." Maya said softly as the song ended.

  "I am glad you're my daughter, Maya."

↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ 

  The evening ended and after saying goodbye to everyone, the newlyweds ran down a path lit by sparklers to Josh's car. They kissed one last time before hopping in. They waved to all of their family and friends before they drove away. 

  Maya looked over at her husband. "So, where are we going?"

  "I reserved a room at an elegant hotel for tonight, but tomorrow, we're going to Hawaii." He saw the shocked on her face. "I had the girls pack you a bag."

  "Thank you. You're too sweet."

↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎