3: Learning

Author's POV

"Akimi, the fire's too big," Grandpa Kosuke scolded her.

"I forgot!" Leaping to her feet, Akimi quickly removed the pot off the fire, letting the wood burn longer. After the fire died down to a smaller flame, she replaced the pot and let the stew cook itself.

"There we go," Grandpa Kosuke said, patting her. "Remember, keep in mind what you are working with."

"Sorry, Grandpa. I'll try not to forget next time," Akimi sighed. "I was too absorbed in reading this book.....Uh, sorry!" Grandpa Kosuke grunted in disapproval. One of the many rules Akimi had a hard time keeping was the "let's not read books while we're cooking" rule. When she focused on cooking, the food came out great. If she was distracted, then the food was less tasty.

"I know," Grandpa Kosuke said comfortingly, giving her a pat on the shoulder. "Just keep in mind, alright? Keep reinforcing that rule in your head."

"Yeah, I'm sorry," she apologized. As predicted, the stew was alright, but Akimi knew she could have done better.

After dinner, Grandpa Kosuke trained Akimi on her close-combat and knife skills. Two hours later, Akimi and Kosuke were sitting on a cliff overlooking the tranquil village.

"Grandpa, tell me the story of how you met the First Hokage," Akimi pleaded.

"Again? Isn't that story too old?" Kosuke asked teasingly.

"Please?"

"Alright then." Kosuke retold the story over again to her, while Akimi listened. Stories that were told by her Grandpa never grew old and only renewed her determination of becoming a ninja. To be precise, she had never really thought about what type of work she decided to do as a ninja. Chunin, Jounin, or ANBU. She would figured it out when the time came. For now, all she had to do was build up on her foundation.

"Hey, Grandpa, what was it like to fight beside the Legendary Sanin?" Akimi asked, looking over at him.

"Oh let's see, dangerous, yet very intriguing.....yes, very much so." He paused, saying nothing for a moment. Akimi waited patiently for him to continue.

"When you have become a Shinobi for as long as I have, you'll have worked with many great people," was the next thing he said.

Akimi groaned, wanting to know more details about her Grandpa's past. "Fine then. Who taught you so many ninjutsus?"

"The previous four Hokages, something I've picked up here and there, and that seems to be about it," Grandpa replied, nodding to himself. "Yes, I've acquired much potential to become Jounin, but.....well, you know why, don't you?"

"Doesn't that mean that you are refusing to accept the past and move on?" Akimi asked.

"Well, I don't see it that way," he said, admiring the twinkling stars above them. "Think of it as an punishment for myself."

"And keep living for those you love," Akimi added.

"Yes, indeed. Now, shouldn't you be going to bed? There's a test tomorrow, right?"

"No, there isn't, but never mind. Goodnight, Grandpa." She hugged him affectionately before heading back to their campsite.

"Mhmm," Kosuke hummed, as she left. "The stars shine brightly tonight."