9: Recommendation

Author's POV

Daikoku-Sensei called his students over at the dango shop, breaking their usual routine of going directly to the Missions Office everyday. Six months had passed, giving the three Genin a chance to experience minor C-ranked missions and travel short distances outside the village. Daikoku- Sensei has taught them Chakra control, strategy attacks, hands-on learning, and much more. He is pleased to see that they are fast learners. So today, he wants to announce something to them.

"Hi, everyone! How's it going?" Daikoku-Sensei asked, ordering them all some dango. Akimi stared at the gooey, round balls on wooden skewers. She had never seen dango before, but it vaguely reminded her of the homemade jelly she had made once.

"We are well, Sensei. Thank you for your concern," Sora said politely. "Kazu is still unhappy about his nickname."

One time, Akimi found Shigekazu's name was too long to say repeatedly, so she shorted his name to "Kazu." Shigekazu responded negatively to her, but flared up in anger when his cousin wouldn't stop laughing. Even Daikoku-Sensei had a good laugh.

"Awww, is that so?" Daikoku-Sensei chuckled. "Here! Have some dango!" He pushed the plates of the sticky treat in front of the students. "Eat up! It's on me."

"Huh?" Akimi looked confused. She had never tasted something so bland and gooey before. "I wonder how they make this."

"To create dango, mix together water, gluttonous rice flour, and confectioner sugar to make a watery dough. Then steam the dough and use it as a wrap by stuffing whatever you like. To prevent the dough from sticking, dust the dough with a generous amount of corn starch."

"Oh, I see!"

"No, that isn't," Sora cut in. "That's how to make mochi. You've got it wrong. Dango can be made using tofu and sweet gluttonous rice flour. Boil after kneading well, and you have dango."

Shigekazu glared at his cousin, and Sora returned the look. Akimi was still examining the treat, noticing it mostly tasted of sticky dough. Not a good taste in her opinion.

"Oh yeah, Sensei, why did you call us out here?" Akimi asked, setting the plain dango aside.

"Oh that's right! I wanted to give you guys this!" Daikoku-Sensei takes out three sheets of papers. Skimming through her paper quickly, Akimi realized this was a recommendation for participating in the Chunin Exams coming up.

"It's up to guys to decide whether or not you want to go," Daikoku-Sensei added, munching on the sweet and sour dango.

The three students glanced at each other. "I would like to participate," Shigekazu and Sora blurted out at the same time.

"I want to join too," Akimi agreed, preventing another argument between the boys.

"Great! Then the exams are coming up soon in about a week. Make sure to train and rest your body. You'll need it!"

"Hai!"

The week flew by quickly, and Team Three stayed outside instead of going home. They studied about previous Chunin exams, sparred with each other, and enjoyed a delicious hot meal Akimi always made. By the time the Chunin Exams day arrived, Team Three was ready to go and fight.

"Ready?" Akimi asked the two boys. All three Genin had a sling bag stored with their tools and gear. They were going to ace this exam.

"Hai."

"Ready when you are, Akimi-san."

"Onward!"