23: Returning home

Author's POV

"In the end, I didn't really train as much as I would have liked," Akimi sighed, her back facing the Walls. She was going home today and would reach home by tonight. The day after that would be the finals of the Chunin exams. As a side note, she wasn't really able to learn the new moves from Annie and a Eren either, since both were still children.

However, seeing children running around in the soldiers' stations was a relief for the cadets. After a war of losing so many friends, just having on a fresh scene changes their lifestyle. Not to mention, Levi was being totally cute with Eren, or Ymir trying to get all of Christa's attention. Life was pleasant among the soldiers.

Back with Akimi, she decided she would train in her spare moments as much as she could. No matter what, she wasn't going down in the finals without a fight. Determination sparked through her veins, and Akimi grinned as she started jogging home. She had even strapped on a heavy sack of precious salt from the sea near the Walls. The Survey Corps didn't mind giving their entire supply of salt, since the salt they had was different from the one Akimi had at home. Akimi had always wanted to try new dishes with the new salt that she had now.

"Onward!" And with that, Akimi was on her last-minute training session.

As the days passed, Akimi was still trying to teach herself the "Annie Flip" move. It wasn't easy, since Annie wasn't around. In addition, Akimi built up her upper body strength to make sure she could pull out some last minute moves to save her life.

"Good afternoon, Akimi-san," Sora called, walking towards her. "I haven't seen you lately."

"Oh hi, Sora!" Akimi greeted. "I was out at the Walls for a couple days for training."

"Training outside of Konoha? Sounds intense," Sora said, sitting down. "How did you do?"

"Pretty bad," Akimi admitted. "They weren't able to help, because they kind of ran into their own problems."

"I see. Would you care to spar with me then?"

"Sure thing!"

Hours later.....

"In the end, it wasn't enough," Akimi whined, her chin on Grandpa Kosuke's knee. "I might lose in the finals!"

"Now now, didn't the Hokage say that winning does not necessarily mean you don't become Chunin?" He reminded, stroking her short red-brown hair. Take it easy and rest well for tomorrow, alright?"

"Yes, Grandpa."

"I'll make dinner for today," he said, getting up. His granddaughter hopped up, not willing to sit and not cook.

"I'm helping."

"...you sure?"

"Positive."

"Okay then. How about some curry risotto?"

 How about some curry risotto?"

"That's a good one, Grandpa."