7: Success or Failure

Author's POV

After Sora and Akimi switched places, Shigekazu and Akimi tried as many ways they could to boost Sora upward. However, by the end of the hour, it was clear that Akimi was the best climber. Her time to reach the top of the cliff was 3:48. Sora was capable of climbing up to the arch point of the cliff and made the time 7:42, but Shigekazu climbed the slowest of them all and earned 11:29.

"This isn't going to work," Akimi sighed, panting for breath.

"Hey guys? It's almost ten. You can take a break and rest up a little," Daikoku-Sensei called to them.

"Hai!" The three Genin headed towards the tree Daikoku-Sensei was underneath and relaxed, trying to regain their strength.

"What should we do?" Akimi asked her teammates.

"Since you, Akimi-san, are the most capable climber among us three, Sora and I--" suddenly, Shigekazu deflected a flying kunai headed toward his way.

"Oh! I forgot to mention that I'm going to be using you guys as target practice!" Daikoku-Sensei called out cheerfully. "Remember, stay on guard!"

"Wahh!" Akimi dodged as fast as she could, while the cousins defended themselves with weapons.

My strength is nearly gone, Sora thought, gritting his teeth as he hit three kunais.

I'm going to be hit at this rate! Akimi worried.

What is he trying to do? Shigekazu wondered, narrowly missing a fast shiruken. It's more than just telling us to be on guard. No, wait!

"Akimi-san! Take shelter behind me or Sora!"

"What?"

"He's trying to wear us out!"

Hmm, not bad. But how will you handle my attacks and climb that cliff? Daikoku-Sensei wondered.

"Sora! Help Akimi-san to the top of the cliff! I will stop his attacks!" Shigekazu ordered. Sora gritted his teeth, but listened anyway.

"Akimi-san, we're going to need clones for this to work," Sora spoke quickly. "Don't make any more clones than three. Chances are, Daikoku-Sensei might make another clones himself and send attacks everywhere."

"Okay, got it! Shadow Clone no Jutsu!" Sora cloned himself, and as soon as Akimi was well on her after the boost, Sora went to aid his cousin. Just as he predicted, Daikoku-Sensei cloned himself and doubled the attacks aimed at the Genin.

"Listen well," Sora hissed, grabbing Shigekazu by the shoulders. "We need to keep him away from the cliff as much as possible."

"How much time do we have left?" He asked. Sora glanced up to see Akimi near the top. "Less than eight."

"I have a plan." As much as these two disliked each other, Sora and Shigekazu agreed on a plan that would give them a higher chance of success.

"Agreed?" Sora nodded begrudgingly. "Good. Attack!"

Back with Daikoku-Sensei, he was hidden in the trees, attacking the Genin including Akimi who was climbing. He himself had made only two, and both cousins created four each, exerting a lot of effort. He was impressed with how they could stand their ground without losing any of their clones yet.

"Shadow Clone no Jutsu!" Daikoku-Sensei added one more clone. His third clone headed towards the cliff, and alternated between aiming at Akimi and the cousins from behind.

"Gah!"

Daikoku-Sensei smiled when he had finally hit one of Sora's clones at last. He checked his watch frequently. The Genin still had three minutes left, and the cousins weren't even up the cliff yet. They would have to start over again.

"Ahh!"

"Tch!"

Three clones down, and six left to go.

"Throw it!" Sora yelled. Shigekazu and his clones threw out a smoke bomb, hidding themselves from view. Daikoku-Sensei frowned, but before he could move, one of his clones were taken out.

"Stalling? Interesting," Daikoku-Sensei exclaimed, creating another clone. When the smoke dissipated, he wasn't surprised to see all four clones restored.

"Attack!"

Daikoku-Sensei resumed his attacks, but this time, Sora and Shigekazu attacked with their weapons as well. No doubt, they looked worn out, but not as exhausted as Daikoku-Sensei expected them to be.

BRRRING!!!

Time was up.

Daikoku-Sensei called out, "Well, I guess you all need to restart, huh?" In front of him, only two Shigekazu and one Sora were left.

"What are you talking about, Sensei? Our originals are up there." Sora pointed towards the cliff, and sure enough all three Genin were there. After reading the Chakra levels carefully, Daikoku-Sensei could tell the boys in front of him were all clones.

"How did you--the smoke bombs," Daikoku-Sensei realized.

"That's right. When the smoke bombs exploded, we transformed into Akimi-san and acted as the bodyguard for her, while she climbed," Shigekazu explained. "One of her clones transformed into Sora and went back to aid our clones. Her second clone acted as a energy boost, and she dispelled it while she was aiding us climb the cliff."

Daikoku-Sensei could see the rope in Akimi's hands.

"In fact, Akimi-san had made an extra clone from the very start."

Daikoku-Sensei stared at his students before laughing at his own mistake. Assuming they were just Genin, he did not take into account that they would know so much about these two basic jutsus, the cloning and the transforming. They had learned that a clone would give information back to the original after being expelled. These Genin had realized that the same rule applied to physical stats. He had underestimated them.

"Well done!" He praised, clapping his hands. "Come on down!"

Once the three were standing before him, Daikoku-Sensei grinned at the Genin. "Congratulations! You are now officially Konoha Genin! You guys are all one step closer to becoming great Shinobi!"

"Hai!"

"We are officially Team Three from now on! We start missions tomorrow, first thing in the morning!"

"Hai!"