31: Team Three

Author's POV

"Hello, Miss Maruboshi, we have a regular check up for you today," Akimi's current doctor announced. Examinations were done, and a little exercising for some rehab, but the final check was still negative. Her stomach hadn't healed yet. In fact, the tissue around the wound was slowly beginning to die. If the tissue did not heal on its own, she would need surgery. "We're going to check on you again tomorrow, alright?"

"Yes ma'am," Akimi responded. "Um, could you do me a favor?"

"What is it?"

"Um, could you deliver that bag and flowers to the boy in room 217?" This time, she had packed Gaara a box of chocolate moon cakes, a delicious sweet delicacy.

"Certainly. Are you friends?"

"Um, something like that," Akimi said, smiling.

"Alright then. To boy in room 217. Got it. Rest up, Miss Maruboshi."

"Thank you!"

Akimi took her medicine and lied back down. Her stitches were fresh, and the bandages were regularly changed. However, it wouldn't heal, no matter what.

Feeling restless, Akimi slowly got out of bed, using her cane as support. She left her room and took a walk to see Sora in the Emergency Care Room. Once she reached there, she settled down in a chair and sat close to the bed, holding his hand. "Hi, Sora."

The sleeping boy didn't respond.

"How's life, sleeping?"

Again, no response.

"They still haven't found Kazu yet. You're critically injured, and I am stuck with a cane." Akimi sighed and leaned back. "At least I'm not too lonely. Lee sometimes comes over to talk passionately about his dreams. I visit Hinata across the hall, and sometimes Neji comes by." She paused as if hesitating. "Lord Hokage is gone. He died by Orochimaru's hand. We had his funeral, while you were out. Uh, you're still out, huh? Anyways, a couple of days ago, I met Gaara-san. We didn't say much. In fact, I don't think we've ever had a conversation. I always talked." Akimi looked out the window.

"I gave him flowers and treats a couple days in a row. Sadly, I didn't make any of them. I'm not allowed to even cook. Anyways, Gaara-san is here to escort the remaining Sand ninja who were injured during the battle. He doesn't have that mean expression anymore. He looks lost though."

"Hey, when you get better, let's go find Kazu and become Team Three again," she whispered, getting up. "Wake up soon, Sora. I'll come tomorrow."

Akimi hobbled, off, giving a last look at her teammate before shutting the door. The hallway was silent and eerie. The only noise was the tap of her cane as she traveled to her room. Once inside, she lowered herself to the bed and rested.

There was nothing to do anyways.

Midnight came and went. When the time read 1:00 am, a siren went off. Akimi snapped awake, the soundproof room doing nothing to stop the bright, flashing red lights through the cracks of the window shades. Akimi arose, opening the curtain of the door. She saw doctors and surgeons run past her door, making hast for an emergency.

She opened the door and came out slowly, inching along the side of the hallways. She continued following the doctors and nurses who ran towards the--

Akimi's eyes widened as she picked up the pace as much as she could. No way, what was wrong?

Akimi reached the Emergency Care Room in time to see Sora's body being rushed out the room and towards the surgery room. The door was shut, and the red signal was on. Akimi sat down on the bench outside to wait. She couldn't sleep now. She had to know if Sora was okay. He was the only person left on their team!

One hour stretched to two, then three, four, five, six. Seven hours later, one surgeon came out, and seeing Akimi he came over to her.

"Excuse me, are you of any relation to Nao Sora?" He asked, removing his bloodstain gloves.

"Yes sir. I am his teammate from Team Three of the Leaf," Akimi stated. "Is Sora alright?"