35: The new hokage

Author's POV

"Akimi-chan, hi!" Konohamaru and his two friends Moegi and Udon came running up to Akimi. "What are you doing today?"

"I'm going to make myself some Aiyu, while studying different kinds of dirt," she answered.

"Dirt?" The three echoed, confused. "Man, you're sure weird, Akimi-chan," Konohamaru stated, following her.

"I suppose so," she chuckled. "As a chef, it's a well-known fact that the best ingredients you have are the ones you grow yourself. I've always wanted to study what kind of plants grow well in certain places."

"I don't really get it, but can we come?" Konohamaru asked.

"I don't mind. Would you care for some Aiyu--"

"Yes please!" If Akimi offered them something to eat that she herself made, then whoever rejected her offer was one stupid person. Even Naruto wasn't this dumb to not accept free food, especially if Akimi made it.

"Come on then." They wandered towards the rivers, where Akimi boiled some water, then allowed it to cool. While the water was cooling, she scraped some Aiyu fig seeds into a bowl, sifted out the red fuzz, and tipped it into a cheesecloth bag. The three Academy students watched fascinated as Akimi rubbed the seeds in the bag vigorously in the cooled water. While the jelly was setting, Akimi set up a camp fire and began boiling some water and brown sugar. Lime juice was squeezed and added to the mixture, and after the jelly was cut, Akimi poured equal amounts of the Aiyu jelly into four thermos.

"Here you go," she said, handing them a thermos of Aiyu jelly.

"Thank you!"

"Good, shall we go?" The three children followed Akimi around, who was collecting a variety of soil in small plastic pill tube containers. Akimi had a lot of leftover pill tube containers after the hospital had released her, so what better way to recycle the containers was there than to store soil?

 Akimi had a lot of leftover pill tube containers after the hospital had released her, so what better way to recycle the containers was there than to store soil?

As the four returned to the main village after their trip, Konohamaru spotted some people removing cabinets from the Hokage building.

"Sorry, Akimi-chan, but we need to go," Komohamaru said, giving his thermos back to Akimi. "Let's go!" He ran off towards the people carrying the cabinets.

"Konohamaru! Wait for us!" Moegi and Udon yelled, running after their friend.

Akimi left and returned to the borderline woods. She slowly walked, taking care not to jolt her stitches on her abdomen too much. She spent some time, reading through library books to study more about types of soil and the earth chakra element.

"It grew!" Akimi exclaimed happily, watching the little plant bud from the mix of plants she had been planting repeatedly. She intended to replicate the Betulina Barosma herb, which was a rare medicinal herb that was difficult to find. Akimi wanted to grow a similar herb that could produce the same effects as the Betulina Barosma herb.

Hours later, a yell alerted her. Akimi looked up to see Naruto running towards her. "There she is!"

"Naruto?"

"Hey, who's here?" Another voice asked. Akimi watched a blond lady follow Naruto. Her eyes widened at recognition of the lady.

"Um, are you Lady Tsunade-sama, one of the great Sannin?" Akimi asked eagerly.

"So you know me, I see," she said smoothly. "And I can see you're injured. Get up. Let me see you better."

"Uh, what?"

"Your stomach isn't fully healed even though you had a stomach transplant," she said impatiently. "Hurry up. I don't have much time."

Akimi obeyed, standing up. Lady Tsunade began prodding the girl's stomach, checking the stitches carefully. "As I thought. You have gastritis, a chronic disease in your stomach. Whoever transplanted your stomach must be incredibly blind to give you a poor-quality stomach," she scowled. "Here we go." She suddenly swung the girl up in her arms. "We need to you examined right away."

"Wait, what?!"

An hour later, Akimi was back in the hospital with Lady Tsuande examining her. "It's definitely gastritis. You need extensive care immediately."

"Tsuande-sama, what's going on?" Akimi asked, confused.

"I am the fifth Hokage of Konoha, and as the new head doctor, you're going to get treatment for you stomach, Akimi Maruboshi."

"Uh, okay....."