24: Chunin Exam Finals

Author's POV

The Chunin finals participants arrived early, all silent. Akimi didn't even know what to say other than a quick "good luck" to Sora. However, she was able to give Kankuro and Temari a kind smile, which they returned. Gaara was still dark and cold as ever, but Akimi pushed his sad eyes away from her and focused on her opponent.

By the way, where is he? Akimi looked around, but Dosu wasn't anywhere. Actually, Sasuke wasn't present either. Akimi didn't know what to do. If Dosu didn't showed up, then she couldn't prove herself worthy of becoming Chunin! She would win the match by default, but then she would be evaluated.

No point in panicking, she scolded herself. They'll probably do something. Maybe make me fight a winner of another match. Please let me have a chance of becoming Chunin!

"Let's start the first match: Neji vs. Naruto! Begin!"

Twenty minutes later, Naruto, to everyone's shock, won. Neji had to be taken to the infirmary, and Akimi grinned, knowing Hinata was probably internally cheering for her crush.

"Next! Sasuke vs. Gaara!" However, Sasuke was not present.

"He's going to be disqualified!" A lot of people in the audience whispered. Akimi glanced around, hoping to spot him, but the Uchiha boy was around. What happened?

"This match will be pushed back," the protector announced, much to the audience's disappointment. After hearing rumors how Gaara passed the preliminaries and previous tests with flying colors, there wasn't any doubt that the crowd wanted to pair him up against the surviving Uchiha boy. Bets were made eagerly, but thanks to the Kazekage, who persuaded the Hokage to postpone it, the match wasn't happening yet.

"Instead, we will have Kankuro vs. Shino. The two of you, please step forward." Shino obeyed, but Kankuro held back. Confused, Akimi looked at the boy who was looking pleadingly at his sister. Temari averted her eyes twice, and Kankuro caught the signal.

"Uh, hey, I'm not feeling up to it, so can I forfeit?" Kankuro asked sheepishly. Suspicious, the proctor glared at him, peeved at his response.

"If that is your final decision, then yes, you may forfeit."

"Yeah, I'll forfeit," Kankuro admitted.

"Lame!" Naruto screamed, making Kankuro verbally lash out in his own defense. Something about how he's not ready.

"Next up, Shikamaru vs. Temari!" Instead of backing out like her brother, Temari leaped down from her spot and looked defiantly at Shikamaru.

"So troublesome," he whined, yawning. "Maybe I'll forfeit too--" he was promptly cut off when Naruto pushed him over the edge of the rail.

"Is he okay?" Akimi asked Sora.

"Don't worry, Akimi-san. He's from the Nara Clan, so even if you smashed his skull a couple times, he can still think alright."

"Woah."

"Yes. Now pay attention. The match is starting, unfortunately for Shikamaru-san."

Akimi watched eagerly as Shikamaru tried buying time to extend his shadows by using the arena wall's shadow, and even the balloon made of a kunai and vest. No doubt, the level of power was much greater in Temari's favor, but Shikamaru was still the Nara genius.

"He's going to win!" Bets were made again in the audience as they watched Shikamaru finally capture Temari with his shadow. Temari seemed to be scared of what he could possibly do to her. Probably painful and deadly. What she didn't expect was for him to say, "I forfeit."

"What?!" Yells, screams, and curses erupted through the crowds as Shikamaru flopped down on the ground, looking at the clouds.

"I'm out of Chakra and energy. I'm done here."

"Shikamaru! Why didn't you just win! You could have beaten her!" Naruto yelled.

"Dummy, the whole point was to be evaluated, not win. Besides, I can't let a girl prove she's better than me," the lazy boy replied. "This is altogether too troublesome."

"Winner, Temari!"