38: Breaking Away

Author's POV

Idate Morino won the race by mere inches for the Wasabi Family. The Wagarashi Family was forced to disband, and finally, Akimi and Team Seven would be able to return home.

"Where are the wounded?" The Genin turned around to see a ship bearing the Konoha's leaf symbol on the flag. Morino Ibiki stood close to the railing, his back ramrod straight and dark eyes looking at them.

"Uh, here!" Naruto shouted, pointing to Sasuke on a stretcher.

"Bring him in then." Naruto led the stretcher onto the ship with Sakura and Akimi close by.

"Bye, Naruto!" Idate shouted, running on the edge of the dock, waving to Naruto as the ship pulled away. "Have a safe trip!"

"Yeah! See you again!" Naruto yelled back. Akimi grinned and sat next to the railing of the ship, contentedly. All was well, and everything was alright. Sasuke was injured, of course, but as long as he wasn't dead and made it to the hospital with proper care, he would be fine.

Akimi was right, as she followed Team Seven to the hospital. Everyone's injuries were treated, both major or minor. Sasuke was given a room to rest in, while Naruto and Sakura were free to leave as they wished. Akimi had her usual checkups with Lady Tsunade, but other than that, things were fine. The mission was a success, and life was fine.

A little too fine.

There was some sort of.....tension between Naruto and Sasuke. Either Sakura could sense it and chose not to speak up, or she didn't know at all. Akimi no longer tried to continue the conversions with Sasuke anymore. Sakura was cheerful as ever, but Sasuke hardly replied. Both girls could tell Sasuke was annoyed and irritated about something, but it wasn't until one day, Naruto showed up.

"Naruto, fight me," Sasuke spat out, leaping out of bed. Naruto glared and cracked his knuckles.

"I've been waiting for you to say that!"

"On the roof then."

"Wait! Oh great--" Akimi groaned, collapsing from jerking around too suddenly.

"I'll send a nurse to you, and try to stop them!" Sakura yelled, running away. Akimi winced, trying to get to her feet. She managed to lean against the wall for support when a loud noise above clashed.

"Miss--"

"Take me to the roof, please!" Akimi pleaded.

"Miss, you need to go to your room."

"No! Please take me up to the roof! I need to see if my friends are okay!"

After a little begging, the nurse took Akimi to the roof. Akimi watched in silence, seeing the water tanks completely trashed open from the sides. Sasuke was nowhere to be seen, and Naruto left immediately after saying something to Sakura who was sobbing. Kakashi Sensei also spoke to Sakura with a gentle pat to her head, but left quickly.

"Sakura!" The pink- haired girl looked up and ran towards Akimi.

"Akimi," she hiccuped.

"Calm down, Sakura. Let's go to my room."

The girls went to Akimi's designated room to calm down. "Tell me everything that happened."

Sakura relayed the entire tale, and Akimi was rendered speechless about what to say. "I see. Thank you, Sakura," she stammered.

"Yeah, I better go home," she sniffed, getting up. "I'll come by tomorrow, alright?"

"Yeah. Thank you."

"Akimi. Do you think Sasuke and Naruto will.....you know....." Sakura wiped away her tears as she looked at her friend.

"I don't know, Sakura." Akimi clenched the blankets, her emotional sanity slowly cracking. "I really don't know."