Ch. 5 Sweet dreams, Chad

I woke up with a headache.

Last night, we left the party pretty late and on top of that, for some unknown reason, I couldn't sleep very well. On the one hand, the stupid moon was shining so vividly through my window, disturbing my tired eyes! I had to cover it with the curtains but it didn't help much. On the other hand, I couldn't stop thinking about my dance with Michael. The way he placed his hand on my waist, the heat from his body, his beating heart, his firm chest pressing against me, the intoxicating smell of his cologne... it was all too much for me. I didn't know what was going on with my mind and body.

Ever since he came to live with us, something in me changed. I was thinking too much about him, the way he looked, the way he spoke... I felt like I was....

attracted to him.

I was attracted to my own cousin.

How was this even possible??! He was my sibling - my own blood. The son of my mother's brother.

But he was so handsome...

His looks made me weak.

I was just a 17 year-old girl who met an incredibly good-looking, nice, sensitiv guy, who also protected her from the bad boys in town and helped her with math. In my opinion, that was how much  a girl needed to fall in love with a guy.

I wasn't saying I was in love with him, I only thought he looked good, nothing more. Well, maybe there was more but it was just a cousin-love! My thoughts got interrupted by the ringing of my phone. I looked at the clock and it was 10am. I grabbed the phone to see it was Jess and picked up.

"Hey, Jess, what's up?"
"YN... haven't you heard yet?" was she sobbing? She sounded really strange.
"Hear what?"
"About Chad! YN he's dead! Chad's dead!"
"WHAT?" I jumped in bed.
"He... I don't know... but my mother told me! And there were policemen at my house! Haven't they come to yours yet?"
"No.. are you sure?"
"Girl, you gotta come now! I'm at Daniel's place with my mom and he's in shock!"
"I'll be right there!"

I got out of bed and threw some clothes on, then scurried downstairs to find Michael, drinking coffee.

"Good morning, YN, how did-" I cut him off and noticed his facial expression change as he saw me. I was probably as white as a ghost.
"Michael, please take me to Daniel's place! Something terrible happened! Chad's dead."
"What???"

He grabbed the keys, we locked the house and got in the car. I told him everything that Jess said on the way and in like 10 minutes, we were in front of Daniel's home. After I rung the bell, his mother opened the door for us. We went upstairs in his room and I couldn't believe my own eyes...

Daniel was crying like a baby.

The town's gangster was crying like a baby.

"Daniel..." I whispered and he looked at me.

He was sitting in his bed curled up like a ball, hugging his legs in front of his chest and gently rocking from side to side. Jess was sitting beside him on the edge with a worried look on her face.

"He's gone.." he opened his mouth to reveal his trembling voice. I was simply petrified. Why was Daniel so scared? But the worst was, whatever made this cruel, cold-hearted boy afraid, it was no fucking joke. Michael was standing right beside me.

"Don't stay like this.." he whispered from behind me and finally I snapped out of my thoughts to realize I was acting rude. I quickly walked over to the bed and sat on the other side. Daniel was a terrible person but seeing him so weak made some kind of weird, warm feelings arise in my body, that made me want to comfort him.

"Daniel, are you okay?" I gently placed my hand on his shoulder.
"Oh I am okay but I don't know for how long..." what was that supposed to mean?? I looked at Jess, she shrugged her shoulders, then looked at Michael and finally at his mother.
"He's been saying weird things no one really understands..." she sadly replied.
"Noooo!" he shook his head "Nothing's weird here!"
"Is Chad really... dead?" I asked.
"Yes unfortunately, dear.." his mom replied "Daniel found him last night and the condition he found his body in... " she looked away with sadness in her eyes "I don't know if my son will ever recover!" she began to silently cry. Michael, the gentleman he was, gave her a handkerchief.
"It must have happened after we left the party." Jess said.
"Daniel, where did you find Chad?" with eyes fixed on one point he said
"Everywhere."
"What do you mean everywhere?"
"After you had left, we returned to the party and he was very angry. We were fighting about M-" he looked at Michael and went on "we were fighting and then he must have left without us noticing. At some point, I decided to head home and when I looked for my car, I realized it was gone... there was nothing I could do, so I headed home walking. And then... then..."
"What happened then?" Jess asked.
"I saw my car. It was on the road, but there was no one in it... When I approached it, I noticed blood on the ground and the roof of my car was bent as if something very heavy had been jumping on it."
"Blood?" I asked.
"Yes and the trail led to the forest..." he wiped his mouth with his hand and still focused on one point, continued "I followed it and I found him..."
"Chad?"
"Whatever was left of him." I felt indescribable disturbances inside my guts. I could taste fear on my tongue. "A leg, the hands, his head, his chest too but it was open and whatever opened it, emptied it up." was he really telling the truth? And what did he mean open and empty it? Like eat or what?? "His yes were still open.. I saw pure fear in them." the look Daniel had on his face when he said this, was as if the end of the world was coming.
"Did you tell all that to the police?" Michael asked but his mother replied for him.
"Yes, the police is investigating it right now. They believe that wolves or dogs did it."
"It wasn't a wolf." Daniel said "Nor a dog. It was something bigger and stronger."
"This is impossible!" Michael told him "It was most probably a wolf that came near town from the forests."
"Would a wolf scratch his face?" Daniel looked at Michael "Four big scratches that came from big, sharp nails from the claw of whatever it was."
"You're still in a shock, boy, you don't know what you saw and you're confused. The things you're saying are impossible!" Michael said.
"I agree, son you're still very scared and I think we should let him rest. The doctors gave him something to relax him so he needs to sleep now."
"Oh so he's under the influence of drugs..." Michael said meaning that what he was saying was in his imagination.
"I know what you mean but you're wrong, Casanova."
"Daniel, don't talk like that!" she scolded him.
"I think we should leave now.." I suggested and me and Jess got up but Daniel grabbed my hand tightly, looked into my eyes and said
"Be careful, YN... Jess you too. Don't go out at night." and let go of my hand.

I don't know what he really saw and what really happened but he was scared to death. Daniel was scared. The baddest boy in town was trembling with fear. The party animal that loved night life told me not to go out at night.