Ch. 41

I waited until the moon appeared in the black sky and watched the stars sparkle around it like expensive jewelry. What a beautiful sight, yet with deadly consequences. 

I put on my shoes and pulled the zipper of my jacket up. I placed my hand over my pocket to feel the little knife I put there a minute ago just in case I had a very close encounter with the beasty.

I locked the door behind me, put the key in my other pocket, looked at the full moon once again, inhaled air deeply to refresh my mind and gain courage, feeling the cold air make its way through my lungs all the way down to my stomach. 

Where was I supposed to go now? 

I knew the answer, but I was afraid to say it to myself - the forest.

Should I go back and lock myself up? 

No! I couldn't go back now. No way! I had to do this once and for all! I looked to my right, which was the way to the forest.

I took a deep breath again and headed in that direction. I tried to remain unnoticed, because I didn't want people to see me going there. On top of it, my best friends were convinced that Michael was the werewolf and if they found out I was headed there, they'd freak out and believe that nonsense even more. I was doing this for Michael too. I didn't want the beast to haunt me when I leave this town after graduation and start my new life with Michael. Therefore, I had to do this now. I hoped that little witch Lisa wouldn't cause Michael too much pain. 

I was soon standing in front of the forest. I got there pretty fast as I was preoccupied in thoughts about me and Michael. 

This was it. I was going to enter the forest and face the werewolf. I said to myself that this wasn't time to get scared and dived into the forest. 

I used my phone for light, for I couldn't see anything in the dark, thick forest. 

My heart had begun beating so fast and I felt like imprisoned between the numerous trees, which surrounded me like a deaf crowd, looking at me, examining my every move, judging me as if I was to blame for the werewolf's arrival into this town! 

I ignored the stupid trees and moved further into the forest, looking for the werewolf. This reminded me of the story Derek told us about him and the men, who were looking for the beast in the forest, when they used to be young and strong... 

The only noises around me were those of the leaves, caused by the wind, and those of me stepping on the ground, covered by dry leaves and brunches. There were no animals or birds. The werewolf must have eaten them all. All the killing and corpses were not enough to satisfy its hunger. Great.

I kept walking and looking for the beast for what it seemed to me like 30 minutes, when my phone rung. It was Jessica. I didn't pick up, because I wasn't ready to listen to her crazy stories about Michael being the beast and stuff, but she called again immediately after the first call. I decided to pick up and see what she wanted, of course I wasn't going to tell her that I was in the forest. 

"Hello, Jess, can we talk la-"
"YN YOU HAVE TO GET HERE RIGHT NOW!" she was screaming and I could hear other voices coming from the other side. Before I could ask what was going on, she went on "THE BEAST IS HERE! IT'S TRYING TO GET INSIDE AND KILL US YOU HAVE TO HELP US PLEASE!"
"WHAT? Where?"
"DEREK'S HOUSE PLEASE HURRY UP WE CAN'T HOLD IT ANY LONGER ONLY YOU CAN HELP!"

I didn't even reply I started running as fast as I could out of the forest and into the town. I was running so fast that I couldn't get enough air in my lungs. My heart was literally racing in my chest, but I didn't stop. I was glad that I made it to the house before I fainted.