Ch. 36

YN's POV

"I still don't understand why I'm here! I told you I don't know anything about the priest!" my heart was literally beating like a drum, my palms were sweaty and my body was extremely hot, but I was trying so hard to stay focused and look calm! I had to lie for my life. I had to convince the policemen I was innocent. But why the hell would they suspect me!? I had no idea what was going on and I was so scared like a little child! And Michael... If he found out the truth, what would he do? Would he leave me?

"Now..." the policeman said and pulled the chair to sit on it, right in front of me. "We did a little investigation and the priest's wife said, he left the house to go to Derek's home for some reason."
"And I am here because???"
"We hear that you and your friends have gotten quite close with that Derek. So we thought maybe you know something..."
"We're not close." I denied it quickly.
"Many people have seen you with him... your friend, Jessica and Daniel too."
"So what? You keeping me here, because I know Derek?"
"What business do you have with him?" I had to come up with something... quickly.
"Listen, Mr., he's just an old, lonely man and we're helping him, alright? He has no family, he's on his own out there."
"And you good kids help the poor, old man?" he raised his eyebrow in suspicion.
"I know you think this is weird, but it's not!"
"Now, the night when the priest died, did he come to Derek's house?" he was testing me.
"How am I supposed to know that?"
"Weren't you with him? And your friends too?" I had to say no.
"No!"
"His wife said, that one of you asked him to come to Derek's house, so you must have been there!" oh God! I had to remain calm until the very end! I couldn't let them know the truth.
"Yes, but then we went home and we have no idea what happened! But the next day, Derek said no one went to his house, he even asked us if we told the priest what he had asked us to..."
"I see. So you're telling me, that you and your friends went to the priest's house, talked to his wife, telling her he should go to Derek's house, and then went home?"
"Yes, exactly!"
"And don't know what happened to the priest?"
"No! I already told you that!"
"Good."
"Can I go home now?"
"No. You'll stay here for a few more hours."
"But why!" I protested. "I wanna go home! I haven't done anything!"
"I'm sorry, lady, I don't make the rules, okay! Now go outside and wait there."

Oh Lord.. what had I gotten myself into?

"YN, what happened?" Michael scurried to me as soon as he saw me open the door.
"Michael.." I wrapped my arms around him, not caring that someone might see us, besides, he was my cousin, right? There was nothing wrong with a hug! I couldn't control the tears in my eyes anymore! "Michael!" I had him wrapped in my arms so tightly. I didn't want to let him go! I needed him now more than ever.
"Baby, are you okay?" he whispered "What happened in there? What's going on?"

"Everything's fine, sir." we heard the policeman say behind us, then we turned around to look at him, our hands still locked together and to our utmost surprises we saw Jess, Daniel, Derek and some other man behind the policeman. We quickly let go of each other's hands.

What was going on? Why were they here?

"We just asked her a few questions and now we're gonna ask her friends a few questions, and if everything's okay you might go tonight." I was left speechless. 

The policemen didn't even leave us time to talk before the questions so we couldn't agree on one version! And we thought that no one would suspect us, so we never talked about what we were going to say if the police asked us!! This was not good. Not good.

"Let's go." the policeman led them to this room and all we could do was exchange a few glances and I could tell their eyes were filled with worry and nervousness. None of them expected this to happen. "Now, the girl is first. You all wait here!" he commanded to his colleagues to guard us so that we won't have time to talk about the examination. That policeman was smart. We were all told to sit down and wait, then Jessica gave me one last worried look and went inside the room with the policeman. Her eyes were asking me what I had said and what should she say, but unfortunately, it was too late for that...