Ch. 29 THEY

I dived into the thick forest this time filled with bravery for it was a bright, warm day and the sun made its way through the thick pine trees. There was no sign of the moon and thus no sign of the bloody beast. The day made me feel safe and protected as the monster hunted at night only.

I was determined to end my "trip" before the moon and lock myself tonight for I was afraid the beast could come after me to accomplish whatever it wanted to when it pulled me in the forest last night. I was actually happy that Michael was going to return home so that I would be all alone, waiting for the werewolf to come and kill me.

I entered deeper and deeper into the forest.

The smell of pine trees and dirt was mixed with the fresh air, and was all over the forest. I made sounds as my shows stepped upon fallen brunches and dry leaves, which were the only sounds around here. There were no birds around, nor bugs. The forest felt as if it had been abandoned from all living creatures and now completely dead. That was all thanks to the werewolf.

I wasn't afraid that I might get lost since I had my phone with me. It was my way out of this huge forest. Of course, I couldn't check all of it... only the closest parts to town and around the gypsy village. Maybe I could find something about the werewolf there and if I had luck - its very lair.

But I didn't. No luck today, no werewolf's lair. Maybe it didn't have a place after all, because it knew that if it had, people might find it eventually. I'd been wandering in this forest for hours now and I grew tired and hungry. I decided to sit down for a while to rest.

Sadness and fear had taken over my body and hope abandoned it. I no longer believed I could find something about the beast. I had no idea what I was going to do... I didn't know who the beast was, nor could I find something to connect me to the person behind it. Was waiting for it to come kill me my last option?

Dead end before me.

This idea was a bad one. There was no sign of it, so I took out my phone and decided to head back home. I was pretty far away, so that mean more hours of walking.

After what seemed like two hours, I decided to sit down and rest again. My feet were hurting so badly! What was I thinking in the first place?!

I sat down and leaned against a tree, then rested my head and took a deep breath. It was a day, but the forest still felt scary, knowing that there was no living creature left around to destroy the disturbing silence. After five minutes, because I didn't want to be here alone for a longer period of time and wanted to return home before it got dark, I got up and just before I took the first step, I saw something glisten in the distance.

I looked again and moved a little since it glistened when the light reflected on it. I slowly went to it.

It was something coming from the leaves on the ground, it was gently buried in them. I reached down and grabbed it and to my utmost surprise it was a picture of me, mom, dad and Michael. We took it when he first came to live with us.

Me and Michael were in the middle, sitting on the big dining table and my mom was supposed to be next to me, and dad next to Michael. Supposed, because they were cut out from the picture.

I couldn't understand at first what the meaning of it was and how could our picture end up here and why are my parents cut out?

Then I realized, there was only one explanation.

The beast had been in my home.

I didn't know what it was doing there, but it probably saw the picture and took it. But why would it cut out my parents and leave only me and Michael? And had it been carrying it around with it? Why would the beast carry our picture?