02

Elijah stepped out into the city, the hustle and the bustle of the people bouncing from store to store almost drowned out the sound of the carriages screeching along the pavement or the horse's hooves clipping against the cobbles.

He took the path that careered left, taking him away from the town centre and into a more secluded area of the city. He followed the stones until they were engulfed with grass and buried under copious amounts of plants and herbs.

That's when he knew he was in witch country. They had their own small community around here, just on the edges of the bayou. The path Elijah took was the quickest way to get into town and back, serving to be the busiest.

"May I speak to Dianne?" He grabbed the arm of the nearest witch in the vicinity, hoping that Dianne still remained in charge as coven leader, not really wanting to get to know yet another witch.

"She's just over there" the witch replied to him, acting like he was an idiot or something for not using his eyes "Dianne" she called "this vampire has business with you"

The black haired witch waltzed over with her eyes glued to his, she never took them off him out of distrust "and what is that business?"

Elijah turned to the stranger witch as if she needed a moment alone, away from prying ears. She took a step back, a glare upon her eyes, towards him. She knew what he wanted, though reluctant to give him the moment alone he wanted, finally she walked away.

"I need information" Elijah had his hands by his side as he stood tall and proud "there as been a creature around these parts murdering my vampires, draining them of their blood"

"Then you should look towards your own kind; I apologise but there isn't much I can do when a vampire has gone rogue" she shrugged her small shoulders

"Yes but these aren't vampire markings" he replied "it is like a human biting into a vampire, something stranger than you and I; something deadlier"

The witch looked stunned; her mouth opened to say something but what came out was only suspicious stutters as her eyes gave out a series of shocked glances and frequent blinks. "I haven't heard of that before"

"You haven't heard of anything?" Elijah asked, his eyebrow raised at her odd behaviour.

"Only that whoever is targeting your vampires, are beginning to target our own; we found three renegade witches dead on the bayou floor a few days ago" she replied, stuttering and trying not to trip over her words "have you tried the wolves?"

"Niklaus is with them as we speak" Elijah informed her "so it seems that it's not only vampires they're feeding off, but supernatural creatures"

The witch looked towards her feet and took a deep breath "but the witches cannot help you" she admitted

"What?" Elijah breathed, too shocked to even put up a proper argument. But if their witches were being attacked, then why can't they team up and fight it together.

"I don't want to anger whatever is out there; right now only the shunned witches are being effected, and not my own" Dianne admitted, it seemed as if she was sorry, he could see the sympathy in her eyes. But she was doing what was best for her people, though it put Elijah's in even more danger.

"But we need a witch, to at least help us, just one" Elijah tried to plead his case, he would even beg.

"I can't just lend out one of my witches for your sake" Dianne snapped in return, almost scoffing at how low he was going "plus, witches and vampires do not mix, you've taken our city so why should we aid you?"

Elijah gritted his teeth, his hands bunched up into fists as he tried to channel his anger to attempt to calm himself down. "Not even for ownership of part of the city?" He asked as a last resort; he felt the eyes of the witch that he shoo'd away burn into the back of his head as he bartered.

"Not for all the gold in the world, my Lord" Dianne replied quietly, her heart stopped when he offered her part of the city. But no, she wanted the full city and therefore she refused.

Elijah knew that Dianne knew something that she wasn't going to spill. So it meant that he would have to work harder than usual to find out what she was hiding. Was Dianne to blame behind this? If so, why are witches being killed?

He stepped backwards without uttering a word to the coven leader. His eyes scowled before he turned away and strode off.

Back on the path, which seemed emptier, he heard small footsteps come up from behind him. "Sir, wait"

Elijah stopped and turned around to see the other witch who kept staring at him throughout his visit. Why was she following him? Didn't she hear Dianne's blatant refusal.

"I overheard you asking about whom ever is killing supernatural creatures" she began, out of breath "my sister was among those witches dead, she was shunned last month and now I have had to bury her"

"Why are you telling me this?" He asked out of pure curiosity. The girl was a witch, she was born to hate vampires, but something had pushed her far enough to reach out.

"There's a witch in the bayou, one that hasn't been touched yet" she began "her name is Cassandra, I grew up with her. She was shunned not too long ago for reasons that have been kept from us, but if you explain your situation then she'll help you; tell her that Eloise sent you"

Elijah raised his eyebrow once more, he was searching for her point within the mass of words that flew from her mouth.

"Why are you helping me?" He asked

"Maybe I just want to put an end to this madness" she shrugged "say you will find her?"

Elijah nodded his head "Cassandra" he confirmed "I'll do it right now"

Instead of taking the path back to town, he stepped into the rough, making his own journey deep into the bayou.