20

Cassie woke up on the hardened mattress in the familiar territory. It took her a few blinks to adjust to the candle light and then she realised where she was.

"Clever" she rasped, still lying down and looking at the ceiling. She could feel Elijah's presence at the other side of the bars

"Might as well let this place go to good use, after all it is in a very convenient location" he replied smoothly

"So what? You are to leave me in here until I desecrate?" She asked, knowing he didn't properly have the heart to kill her

"I haven't decided that yet" Elijah said "I want to hear the truth first"

"Well I was about to tell you everything before your crazy sister snapped my neck" Cassie tilted her head to the side and cracked her neck "I just can't seem to get used to this immortality now"

"The truth, before I lose my temper" Elijah was desperate to know the truth, he just needed closure.

"Well, the truth is..." She walked over to the bars, her hand wrapping around one as she rested her head against the wall "I never lied to you as much as you think; I didn't physically say that Eloise was this creature, I didn't say I wasn't the creature..."

She had a fair point. She didn't say that she wasn't the creature, only lead them in directions that didn't reveal her true identity.

"I did lie when I said I refused the offer to be apart of the cult of witches though" She revealed "they came up to me, offered me something I couldn't refuse..."

Cassandra's mother had told her to wait here, in the middle of the bayou, somewhere secret. She was alone and her mother had gone to find her father and apparently some others. She said they had a surprise for her.

She turned and recognised the group of familiar faces walk towards her, her mother, father her family friends, the coven leader, all walking towards her.

"Is everything okay?" She asked as everyone's eyes were pinned to her. Dianne stepped forward, her feet dragging along the floor.

"We've been watching you for a while now, Cassandra" she began, it wasn't the best way to start the conversation, Cassie was kind of scared "you are a strong witch with an incredible power"

"My power isn't incredible, it's a burden on me and whoever lends me their power" Cassandra guessed that she was referring to her siphoning powers, everyone saw them as a God- given power but she saw them as a curse.

"Well, how about a little proposition for you?" Dianne asked "for we are the beginning of a group of witches, powerful ones that seek the annihilation of vampires and werewolves altogether, our goal is to be the dominant species, for the greater good of the universe"

Cassie's eyebrows knitted together, why didn't she know sooner? How come she didn't realise her family in this group?

"If you join us, we have a way to give you a permanent source of power, so you don't need to siphon again" she offered.

Cassandra jumped, her heart stopped at the prospect of being a normal witch, having power whenever she wanted. And all she had to do was say yes.

"They sought out members of the community that could be seen as outcasts, offering the prospect of normality, telling them that they can be fixed" Cassie described "9 out of 10 times it worked, Eloise could not do anything more than levitation, they fixed her, but I- well I was a little bit more of a challenge, because not only did they have to re-enact a very powerful spell, but they had to improve it, and I didn't know it yet, but I had enemies"