22

Hayley didn't want Elijah to go it alone. Though he put up a rather good fight, she didn't want him to do this. It was awkward, she knew full well, especially because of their past and especially because Hayley was now married to Jackson. But it wasn't stopping her from being his friend, just being there for him.

Elijah couldn't push himself to take the step further, he knew that beneath the ground he stood on lay a prison full of vampires and witches and werewolves hell bent on their destruction. Murderers and monsters far beyond their greatest nightmares, all in one place. But so was she.

How would be bring up the subject? How would he even begin a conversation? Elijah always had a plan, but right now he couldn't even think straight. For once, he was nervous and for once he was terrified.

"Down here" Elijah pointed, the stairs seemed the same old stairs, the door had been reenforced with metal bars and stronger pieces of wood. As well as a vampire standing next to it to control who comes in and who goes out. In the past two hundred or more years, Elijah endured many trials and many errors, finding it for for him to enlist strong and loyal vampires to guard. One outside and many inside.

"Mr. Mikaelson" the vampire at the bottom of the stairs greeted as the couple reached them. "I assume you're here for..."

"... Yes" Elijah answered before the man could finish. He had worked there since the beginning of his vampire life, he had seen Elijah come to visit many a times when there only had been one prisoner, but Elijah pleaded for him to keep quiet, therefore nobody really knew about his small visits. And he'd prefer to keep it that way.

"Jonathan will show you inside" he opened the door and beckoned the younger vampire over, a new one Elijah knew to be Jonathan.

"It isn't necessary" Elijah refused the help "but thank you, anyway"

He already knew the way down, it was just a straight walk, past all of the turnings that had been created in the years gone by. The prisons almost looked nothing like what they originally were, there were more cells, more turnings, more prisoners.

Wolf whistles echoed just after Hayley had passed. She stopped herself from barking back, knowing that they probably would not have seen a girl since their incarceration. But that wasn't all, there were profanities shouted on the way down, pleas of innocence, begs to be let out. There were crying and shouting and screaming.

"These people are animals" Hayley watched as she walked on, how people had scratched words into the walls, threats, cries for help. Men were lay on the floor in foetal positions, others were punching at the bars to make her feel scared. But it didn't work, she was much more powerful than them, Hayley could take them on.

"Why'd you think they're here?" Elijah kept his gaze set forward but leaned in closer to speak to Hayley. He didn't realise how many people were truly trapped here, he could look at someone dead in the eye and not even remember who they were, what they did or how long they've been here for. But he knew it was enough to send a person crazy.

Eventually, after what seemed like centuries, he came to a halt. And suddenly all of the moans and profanities had stopped, not in the real world, Elijah just somehow managed to block them out. He took a deep breath and swallowed, trying to pluck the courage up to turn his head to the left to see her.

And he did. He saw this vision of a girl he had not seen in centuries, she was sat, cross legged on the thin, straw mattress. Her chin held high and her eyes shut, Cassandra's hands placed nicely onto her knees as it seemed she was in some sort of trance. Was it meditation? Or a coping mechanism? Who knew, but as soon as Elijah cleared his throat, the calming aura faded immediately and her eyes shot open.

Elijah swore he could see red flash in them. "Elijah Mikaelson" Cassandra easily recognised the face; he wasn't sure if he could see a smile on her face, Elijah couldn't quite read her expression. "I wasn't expecting you"

"Cassandra" Elijah tried to keep calm, the sight of her disgusted him and exhilarated him at the same time. She wasn't different, just a little bit rough around the edges, a bit more of a crazed look in her eyes. He knew she could see through his facade, she knew exactly how to make him feel uncomfortable.

But, Cassandra shut her eyes once more and returned to her position on the bed. Ignoring him. And Elijah knew it, it frustrated him how she could just block him out like he was nothing.

But not for long.

"How about if I told you I could set you free" Elijah started with the sentence that would appeal to her most.

Cassie's eyes shot open again "go on"