48

"Am I dead?" Cassandra asked. She was sat on her bed, her vision cut out every so often so she had pieced everything together and estimated Elijah was sat next to her.

"Not yet" Elijah placed his hand on hers and told her that she was still breathing, that she had to wait longer, to suffer longer before she found peace.

"Is Lucien dead?" She asked again, it seemed as if her memory had been cut off, maybe soon it return to her before her death. Maybe she could actually find satisfaction of remembering his death.

"He's dead" Elijah nodded to her, watching the dim light grow in her eyes "we're all safe"

"Then there is just one more thing that needs to happen before this ordeal is over" Cassandra swallowed, her lips felt a little smoother, they weren't as dry nor her eyelids as heavy. "I need to die"

"I thought you were gone when you fell aside Lucien's body, I thought the power would have killed you" Elijah admitted, because seeing a half dead heretic kill a creature even more powerful than an original vampire by absorbing the magic and tearing the heart out, would lead you to believe she was dead. "How long do you think you have left?" He asked, basing everything on how she was feeling and what the ancestors might have indicated within her visions.

"I can't feel anything at the moment, mostly, I feel better, I can open my eyes without wanting to shut them indefinitely, I could probably stand if I tried" she listed "maybe when Lucien's energy dissolves, maybe then it's my time. But what I can say is that it's been one hell of a ride, I'm glad I could share it with you"

"Even though half the time we were at each other's throats" Elijah smirked

"Like cats and dogs" Cassie finished, both of them chuckling to each other about everything. Cassie slowed down and just looked at him "our love story is a different one, isn't it?" She smiled, just appreciating the smaller things in life. How Elijah's dark eyes gleamed with the dim light above them, how his hair was so pristine yet she could see a few strands out of place.

"It certainly is" Elijah had been reminded of the inevitable death creeping up on her and suddenly the moment turned darker.

"You won't forget me, will you?" She asked, feeling Elijah's thumb stroke hers

"I assure you, one day I'll be telling Hope a story about a wicked witch who fell in love with another, a witch who risked it all to save the one she loved, a witch who lived a hero, who died a legend and the witch who was misunderstood. She wasn't wicked at all, just alone" he retold the story quickly "I'm sure she'd fall in love with the wicked witch, I surely did"

Cassie half smiled, everything dawning upon her that she'd be leaving this all behind. "I don't want to leave you" she shook her head, beginning to let out the tears that she had been holding in "I don't want to leave this, I finally have what I've always wanted"

Elijah meant forwards and hugged her tightly, her arms wrapping around him as Cassie took in what she thought to be her last ever moments. She sniffed as she cried into his shoulder "I don't even feel like I'm dying" she shrugged, opening her eyes to see the progress of the bite, she thought it would have been consuming the entirety of her arm now, but she couldn't see it. Maybe it was under her sleeve, Cassie broke off Elijah's hug and lifted her sleeve up to show just skin.

"No, it must be on the other arm" she said to herself, looking at the other and how bare it was. She stared in disbelief for a while before looking at Elijah "it's gone"

Elijah took the arm he was certain the bite was on, but there was nothing there, he rolled the sleeve up further but it was gone.

"That's impossible" he whispered, as his eyebrows furrowed "how can it be?"

Cassandra searched her mind for every single possible way that it could happen. But she only came to one conclusion "the spell I used, the ancestors gave it to me, it must've been a switching spell" she started off "I took all of Lucien's power, it made me temporarily immune to his venom, and then I gave Lucien my bite"

"If I hadn't have killed him there and then he'd still die from the venom in his veins" she said "I'm cured"

Elijah pinched himself. Was he dreaming? Was all of this a sick dream and he will awake in the morning without her by his side, with Lucien still running rampant and Cassandra cemented away in a tomb? "Is this real?"

Cassandra took Elijah's hand and held it against her face "this is as real as it gets, my love"

Elijah's lip quivered as he could finally rid the gut wrenching feeling wrapping itself around him. He could finally breathe properly, a sigh of relief escaped his mouth and he regulated his breathing to calm himself down. "You're going to live"

"They gave me another chance, Elijah" she laughed with joy. And there was no Lucien, no evil witches to come between them this time.

"You're stuck with me for eternity" she laughed. "But promise me one thing"

"Anything for you"

"Let's not let this end up with me in that cell again"