04

Elijah was so consumed with finding the creature he now named as the mortal vampire, he trailed off the path once more. This time the sun had completely disappeared under the earth and had been replaced with the moon that peered out behind the clouds every so often.

The light sky now pitch black, masking his surroundings, draping the trees in a dark blanket that only allowed him to see the outlines. Even his hands were covered in darkness.

But his senses felt sharper than ever; these kind of moments made him feel alive, it made him feel powerful. The fact that he couldn't die made it more of a thrilling fight, to know that whatever went on, he would always come out on the other side. He'd always come out alive.

Now Elijah found himself further out than ever before, he was even further that Cassandra's cottage, he was even further than where he had found the body of Florence. It was peak time for someone that wanted to stay in hiding, and the perfect area.

So he kept quiet, cursing his feet every time they stepped on a twig or crunched a leaf. And finally, after twenty minutes of stalking the large bayou, he finally caught something out of the ordinary.

Only, he couldn't seem to move properly; it was like someone had incapacitated him. His sharpened senses had softened into that of a mortals, so he could hardly see, his hearing had numbed so he could only hear his deep breathing. Someone had targeted him, either that or something was happening close to him and someone didn't want him to see.

Stumbling, he managed to grasp onto the nearest tree, where he was able to regain his balance. Elijah was completely blind in an area he had never been before with a force he hadn't fought against before.

But his hearing still was able to pick up the piercing scream near him, a woman's yell that echoed within the trees, a scream so loud. Part of him just wanted to run away, because he knew that it wasn't him that was the primary target. But as Elijah is such a noble gentleman, he followed the sound.

His hands touched from tree to tree to guide him due to his blindness, his vision had faded so he couldn't see a thing. Though with his deteriorating eyesight, Elijah gained some control over his hearing and was able to move closer to the sound, until he heard a scuffle on the floor.

He stopped, whatever had enchanted him finally began to wear off, but the next thing he knew, he had been hit to the floor. A solid blunt item slammed against his head, not hard enough to knock him out, but hard enough to send him toppling.

But he didn't land on the floor like he was supposed to, he landed on something softer, something warmer. It was then when he focussed in and managed to decipher the face of Dianne, the girl whom he had conversed with earlier on today. She had blood splattered on her face, glistening in the moonlight, her eyes were wide open, showing the scared look she had before she died. And lastly, most importantly, the gaping wound on her neck.

What was she doing out here at night? Was she involved in this? Did she annoy the wrong people? Elijah wished she was still alive to answer these questions, but he knew that her death would serve him well when he could finally breathe, when he was out of this mess.

But for now, Elijah remained in the bayou in the dark, on top of a freshly made corpse, and he had chills down his spine. For he knew that whatever was lurking in these woods now stood behind him.

"Who are you?" He managed to ask through gritted teeth but nobody replied. He could hear the deep breaths of the person behind him before, but that was all he could hear, not any indicators to whether this thing was in fact human or if it wasn't. Elijah had the urge to turn his head around to at least see the outline, did it walk on two legs? Did it walk on four? Did it take the shape of a human or was it more ghastly than what he imagined?

There was so many more questions that could all be answered by a swift turn of his neck. But this thing possessed powers beyond what he could imagine, he was paralysed, every single muscle could tense up but they couldn't move, making him a sitting duck.

Another growl escaped from the mouth of the creature, indicating to Elijah that it was millimetres away from his neck. He could even feel the warm breath dance around him.

"You cannot kill me" he admitted, trying to fight with his words "you cannot wound me, and I have made it my goal to find out who you are, so you can admit to me now or face the wrath of my men"

Again, no reply. Another grunt, but this time it seemed somewhat amused at his enthusiasm. But this monster wasn't going to hurt him, not yet anyway.

Instead, as Elijah tried to look somewhere but the body in front of him, the creature lifted its foot and sent it tumbling down, hitting Elijah's neck and breaking the bone in two. It only killed him temporarily, but it gave the creature, whoever it was, the time to get away.

Leaving Elijah on the floor until the sun arose again.