S01 Chapter 11: The Truth

(Maddy)

"You guys go ahead and I'll take care of the dishes," says Bruce.

I give him a nod and smile as I make my way to the elevator. Steve follows behind me.

I still haven't forgiven him for his million 'sorries' he gave me earlier. But, I don't have to be a jerk here. We're best friends and I should forgive him. And that weight on my shoulders has already lifted when I was in the Baxter with the Fantastic Four.

It's more fun being in there instead of here since Reed lets me touch his toys and Tony doesn't. Well, he does but only in his presence.

"So, are you heading to bed now or do something else?" asks Steve.

I shrug. "I don't know. Maybe read a book or do something clever with my computer. I'm still not sleepy yet."

"No movies tonight?"

I shake my head. "Nope. I'm not in the mood."

The doors open and I walk out to my room. I stop as I'm halfway to my door and turn around to Steve.

"You know, your floor is just below mine," I say. "You didn't pushed you floor button."

He looks at the buttons and laughs, slightly blushing. "Oh, right." He pushes the button. "Good night."

"Good night."

The elevator closes and I open my bedroom door. As soon as I got in, the lights turn on and I make my way to my computer that Tony gave me a few years back. I pull the chair and sit down. I turn it on and type in my password.

I miss my family already, even though it's only been four days since I left. So, I decided to give them a video call.

I look at the time on my computer. 8:47. Mom must be awake now. I open my messenger but I see my mom's status in offline mode.

Getting this something's-wrong feeling, I open the video surveillance of my house back at the Philippines. They actually have no idea I put surveillance cameras at home. I open the video feed of the living room and see it perfectly in shape. Then, I switch to my mom's and brothers' rooms. They're still asleep.

I just scrunch my nose and left mom a message.

Hey, mom. How's everyone? I miss everybody. Say 'hi' to everyone for me. Love you.

I hit send and turn my chair around, rubbing my eyes, thinking of something to do. I grab my phone and earphones from the desk and head back outside to the elevator. As I got in, I hit the rooftop button. The doors open and I step out. The night wind softly blows my hair and the night sky is above. Buildings with lights surround me.

I make my way to the edge of the building, the sound of car horns and engines fill my ears. I sit down on the ledge and hug my legs, not caring if I'll fall. I wear my earphones and select a song, Wouldn't It Be Nice by The Beach Boys, a song from the movie 50 First Dates starring Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore. It's mom's favorite movie. I also remember watching that movie with dad.

I look up at the starless sky. It's always been like that in New York due to light pollution. I miss the sky full of stars back at home.

"Hey," says someone from nowhere.

I look around and find Steve at the elevator walking towards me. He's in his nightclothes now; a gray T-shirt and a pair of black pajamas. I give him a smile and remove my headphones.

"Hey yourself," I reply.

"Mind if I join you?" he says.

I shake my head and he sits down on the ledge, his knee lifted up with his arm on it.