S02 Chapter 03: Awkward

For all the people who watch Agents of SHIELD, you obviously know who Agent Grant Ward is. We know that he's not what we thought he was but I'm still formulating if that will be necessary for this story.

UPDATED AUTHOR'S NOTE
After 6 long years... here's the update for Shields Vs. Flames
============================

S02 Chapter 03: Awkward

(Maddy)

Remembering certain stuff I read about SHIELD is that nearly 50% of the agents are HYDRA sleeper agents. Believe it or not, Agent Grant Ward is one of them. But it's been five years since HYDRA invaded SHIELD and, thankfully, the agency's doing great. Ward, on the other hand, is one of the very few prisoners who were released due to disciplinary improvement.

"You've gotta be kidding," I utter with a scoff. "Ma'am, I read his file and people like him aren't to be trusted."

"Excuse me?" he growls.

I glare at him. "You heard what I said." Then I turn back to my S.O. "Agent Halt, you know my past with HYDRA and if you're gonna pair me up even with a mole of theirs, I'd rather be dead."

"Why are her eyes glowing?"

"Why don't you ask my dear friend, Dr. Bruce Banner?"

"Agent Alvarez, calm down first, please," Agent Halt utters and I breathe. "I knew that this might tick you since your past have issues with HYDRA. But I've no other choice; his skills are perfect for the mission and with him as your partner, I believe things will be done in a snap."

"His 'other' organization nearly killed my family and had me miss a year of my life and you expect me to just accept him as my trusted partner?"

"You got a problem with that?" Ward questions.

With anger running throughout my systems, I quickly stand up from my seat, not caring if my shoulder isn't getting healed. "I just stated my problems with that, Agent Ward. They shouldn't have let you out of prison." Soon, Dr. Sampson puts a bandage on my wound and head for the door. As I observe, he is rather scared. "Thank you!" I yell at him sounding polite just as he exits the room.

"Well, I've changed my ways, Agent Alvarez," Ward defends, "and if you can't respect that then it's not my loss."

"Agents, please," Halt interrupts. "I'm the boss around here and what I say is final." That shut us up. "Agent Ward, we'll get you briefed in a moment and Agent Alvarez, go home and get some rest. We'll call you as soon as we get some information about Pravyeski."

Moaning in anger-filled frustration, I exit the room with an annoyed expression on my face.

Of all the agents I could be paired up with, it's that stupid, unforgivable mole. He killed Agent Hand, his organization put me and my family in jeopardy, he betrayed his team and now Halt expects me to trust him as my partner?

As I've said, I fly solo. But if I'd be partnered with someone, the least they could've partnered me with is someone like that wretched son of a bitch. He betrayed his team before. What if he does that to me and let the mission fail? What will become of SHIELD?

If only he wasn't an operative of that wretched HYDRA, then I would've at least taken it.

*.*.*.*

With my jacket now worn on me, I take my helmet and keys from my locker and head down to the garage to my motorcycle. Yes. My motorcycle, not Steve's. We're not really that close now ever since that day when...