S02 Chapter 01: One Year Later

(S02 Chapter 01: One Year Later)

(Steve)

Never in my life have I felt so empty.

   A year has passed and a lot of things never stayed the same, especially things with Maddy. Exactly two days after the three of us talked, she started to work again and I don't bother asking her since things have gotten awkward.

   When she's here, it actually seems that she isn't. Every time we see each other—mostly at breakfast—the only things we could say are 'hi', 'hello', and 'goodbye'. Our last real conversation was when she decided that she's not gonna choose. Still, she chose to leave me and Johnny.

   Actually, Johnny and I have been good friends since the talk. Our truce is still intact but obviously, we can't say that we've been making progress since Maddy is never here or with him.

   As I sit on the breakfast counter, eating cereal, the elevator opens and Maddy comes running out. She seems actually rushed and she didn't even bother to say 'good morning' or 'hi'. She probably doesn't recognize my presence so I won't bother saying something. As I notice, she's already in her SHIELD spy suit, looking slim and...

   Okay, I'm becoming Johnny.

   She heads for the coffee machine and I look away to respect her space. I start tossing my spoon around my cereal and take another bite.

   "Shit!" I hear her mutter. I turn around and find her having trouble with the coffee machine. She starts to hit it and, unfortunately, the coffee starts to spill out of control. "Shit!" she exclaims now.

   I jump out of my stool and head to her to help. "Here," I say, and she cringes before stepping aside. I start cleaning up her mess and throw it to the sink. Then I turn on the other coffee machine and fill it with coffee beans. As we wait for it to process, she carefully thanks me.

   "No problem," I answer. As I lean on the edge on the counter, I ask, "I thought you liked your coffee iced?"

   She doesn't look at me and just keeps her eyes on the coffee. Then, she just shrugs.

   Hmm. "What do you wanna eat?"

   She just shakes her head.

   "You sure?"

   "Look, Steve, I'm already late. I don't have the time to eat."

   Soon, the coffee machine dings and Maddy quickly fills her tumbler with coffee and rushes off the room.

   Without even saying goodbye.

*.*.*.*

"Hello?"

   "Hey, Cap! I'm glad you answered," says Johnny on the other end.

   "What's up?" I ask.

   "Well, what would you say if we have a Boys' Night Out?"

   I snicker. "As in go clubbing?"

   "Exactly."

   "Look, Johnny, I'm 101 and clubbing is not really my style."

   "C'mon, man! For once in your life, you have to experience what it's like to—"

   "Wait," I interject. "You're not making me go so it would be easier for you to get Maddy, are you?"

   "What?! No, man," he says. "Honestly, I think we need this."