Ch. 1

My chest heaved up and down, my lungs burning and desperate for air. Ugh, when in the world will this energy booster thing going to kick in?! I ran a few more blocks, the sound of my once fellow mercenaries not far behind.

I ran into a shack and locked the door behind me. I pulled out my pistol, the cold metal familiar in my hand as I aimed it straight at the wooden door. A strong gust of icy air whipped through the cracks and holes in the shack's wooden walls, sending shivers down my spine and goosebumps across my arms. I forgot my jacket back at the communication's tower. Just great.

I hear them outside. Suddenly gunfire rings through the air, piercing through the cracks in the shack's walls. It ended as quickly as it came. I went over to a some-what large crack and peered outside. A group of fully armed BSAA soldiers stood outside. "Sweep the area." a buff guy ordered to the rest. Crap! If they find me in here they'll kill me! I'm their enemy, I'm a mercenary.

"Yes sir!" the others replied in unison. They all split apart. One made their way towards the shack. Oh-no. I stepped back away from the window and tripped over something. I landed on my butt with a crash. 'Sh*t!' I cursed in my head.

The door was knocked down and in came a BSAA soldier. He aimed his gun at me and in return I aimed mine at his head. His eyes scanned over me and shockingly he lowered his gun. Realization hit me in a wave of relief. That's right! I'm not wearing my jacket that has my insurgent badge on it. This guy doesn't know I'm his enemy. I took in his features, brown hair that was spiked in the front, greenish gray eyes and a strong angular jaw, but the most eye catching was his lips. The top lip was thin yet the bottom lip was full and together they made a slight natural frown. He's quite handsome for a Jarhead. I snicker to myself and lower my gun. "So are you going to help me up or just stand there?" I asked, trying to move a metal and wooden box that had landed on top of me.

He shook his head for some reason and came to my aid. The male lifted the box off my body and held out a hand. I took it gratefully and the soldier pulled me to my feet. I holstered my pistol. "What's your name?" he asks, leading me out of the shack.

The other BSAA soldiers stood around, guns at the ready. The male beside me held up his hand and they lowered their firearms. "Beck."

"That's gotta be short for something." the buff guy who had ordered the group spoke up. I sigh.

"It's Rebecka Muller. You?"

"Chris Redfield." the buff guy greets himself. I see/feel him staring at me so I look away.

"And you?" I asked turning to the first soldier I had come in contact with.

"Piers Nivans." he says. I once again feel Chris's stare on me. I turn on him.

"What? Why do you keep staring at me?" I ask rather sternly yet keeping my voice as least hostile as I can.

"Sorry. You just look familiar."

"I guess I have one of those faces."

"Why were you in there?" Piers questioned me. His greenish gray eyes locking with my pale blue ones.

"You all just killed my reason." I gestured to the dead corpses lying on the ground. I never trusted those other mercenaries. I had become one of them for my older brother Jake. He's the only family I got left so who else would look after him? I did it to make sure I wouldn't lose him. Truth be told, I was quite natural at fighting.

The dead bodies burst up in flames and turned to ash. "We should get moving. Beck, you're coming with us so we can get you to safety. Finn, Piers, keep your eyes on her, keep her safe."

"Yes sir." Piers and another guy, Finn I assume, replied in unison.