Ch. 25

~ Chris's POV ~

A soft yet cold breeze swept into to the bar and restaurant of the small Edonian town. Thoughts clouded my mind as I continued to eat my meal. Soft murmurs from the conversations surrounding did little to break these thoughts.

My mission here in Edonia, the fact that Rebecka is supposed to join us today and not to mention my worry for a certain underling of mine back at HQ. Piers, god I hope he pulls through.

Cutting a piece of my steak, I seemed to push away these thoughts momentarily. I held the piece of steak on my fork almost lost in the past before sticking it in my mouth. "It's hard to find a good steak around here. Not like back home." Piers's words came back to me from the first time we met.

I was pulled from reminiscing by the sound of approaching footsteps. 'Damn is it time already?' I though, putting my fork and knife down.

The footsteps came to a stop a foot away from my table. I sighed, looking down at my unfinished food. "Captain." a female voice came. A breathy laugh left my lips as I looked up at Rebecka.

"It's good to see--" my words hitched in my throat, seeing the man standing beside her, both clad in BSAA gear. A cockily smirking grin was present on his face and I rushed towards him on instinct. "Piers." I breathed unbelievingly as I wrap my arms tightly around his.

A soft chuckle came from him as he returned my hug. "Hey Chris." I sucked back tears as I pulled away from him, a wide smile spreading across my face.

"My God, look at you." I said, observing the soldier who has risked so much. At least he is okay now. Look like those doctors kept true to their word. Rebecka shifted beside us and I caught a glimpse of her cheery demeanor before she spoke up.

"We've received new orders." she told me firmly, wiping the smile from her face but I could see the happiness in her eyes. I sighed with great relief as I straightened up.

"Alright. Better get to it then."

Rebecka and Piers shared a look before replying in unison. "Yes sir." they left me to head outside. I smiled at the two of them as Piers grabbed Becka's waist and she smiled up at him. 'Those two...' I thought.

"Time to get back to work."