Ch. 23

We ran down the empty corridor towards the escape pods when Piers fell to the floor. I stopped in my tracks with a gasp. "Piers!" Chris cut me off befor eI could even move and was beside Piers's side in a flash. "Damn it." he muttered but I still caught it. 

My lips turned into a frown and my heart ached for Piers. 'This isn't looking good.' I though, holding a hand to my mouth in worry. "Just go!" 

"No! You're going to be okay!" Chris explained as his commrad squirmed in pain. "We're almost there!" he announced, pulling Piers up and supported him. "Beck, get us to the pods." he ordered and I nodded hesitantly. 

I opened the door leading to the escape room and went straight for the first pod that looked intact. As I started working to get the pod to open, Chris set Piers down on the floor beside the pod.

My fingers moved along the keys like little maniacs. I'm now desperate to get us all out of here before we sink along with the place. "See that? We'll be outta here in no time." Chris explains almost happily while talking to Piers to help him stay in control. 

I smile, thankfully for Chris. Even though I haven't known him for very long he has definitely proven himself to be accepted as a father figure to me and I'm sure to Piers as well. "Come on....I got it!" I cheered, watching as the pod's door hissed open. 

"Rebeccka get in the pod." Chris ordered. I whipped my head around to stare at him.

"But Piers--"

"I got him, here, now get it in." he ordered me further while tossing me a small first air kit while reaching for Piers. I caught it, stepping into the pod. I moved to the back of the pod and began wrapping my still bleeding leg. 

I sighed with relief as the pressure took away some of the pain. I looked up to see Piers and Chris at the opening of the pod when out of nowhere they stop. Piers snatches himself from Chris's grip and stands there looking at the two of us. 

I slowly stand as Chris looks down at his palm. "Piers?" I look at him in confusion along with Chris before he shoves the captain into the pod and shuts it. 

The doors hiss close and I run at the door too late, slamming into its window with Chris beside me. "No!" I cry out.

"Piers! No don't do this! Open the door!" 

"Please! Open the door Piers! We can get out of this together!" I reasoned, holding my hand agaisnt the window. Those beautiful greenish-gray eyes look up at me one last time before placing his hand agaisnt hte window too. Tears fill my eyes and I don't hold them back as Chris continues to yell to Piers.

"There's still time!" Chris tried before the man stepped away from the window and towards the control panel. "What are you doing? No, Piers, don't! You can still make it out! Goddammit Piers!" suddenly the pod shifted and Chris yelled out as I placed my hands over my mouth. "No!!"

I choked back a sob as Piers came back into view in front of the window. "Why?"

"Piers! Open the goddamn door-- that's an order!" Chris demanded, banging on the window. I quickly joined him, slamming my palm into the glass. 

"Piers please! Listen to us!! Don't do this, I'm begging you..." I sobbed out the last part as the escape pod shifted again and heartache overtook my wellbeing. The engines started revving up as I stared at his goregeous face. "No..."

He looked back at me with a face at peace but I knew that he was in pain beneath it as he mouthed those three beautiful words to me. My tears streaked my face like rivers as the pod parted from its place. "NO!!!!" I screamed, pounding my fist on the door over and over again until arms wrapped around me from behind. 

Sobs racked my body as my knees gave out from under me. I collapsed to the floor while Chris still held onto me quietly quieting me. I cried out into the pod in agony as Chris held me tighter, suffering the same loss as me. 

I turned around in his arms and sobbed into his chest. Part of me was no gone and I could't stand it. 'Why?! Why is it everyone I care for dies?!'  Chris lets me cry my eyes out as he rubs my back silently until we surface on top of the water. 

The hatch hisses open and Chris lets go of me now that my sobs have quieted down. I stared sullenly at the sun setting on the horizon and I curse at whatever godly being out there that would allow this to happen. 

I feel numb looking at the warm view in front of us. My chin quivers as a new wave of tears come from me and I drop my head into my hands, my shoulders shaking with each sob. Something breaks through the top of the ocean water and I half expect it to be that god forsaken B.O.W. coming back for round six until Chris nudges my shoulder. "....Rebecka..." he says slowly, standing from his slump position to get a better look. 

I follow his gaze to a bobbing escape pod. I wipe my eyes as the hatch of the new pod hisses open to reveal him. A smile widens on my face, overjoyed that he's still alive until he drops to the floor of his pod. "PIERS!!" I shout before diving head first into the ocean water, not caring for the throbbing pain in my leg as I swam faster than I ever have to pod.

"Rebecka!" Chris calls out in disbelief, still wrapping his mind around what was happening but I ignored him nonetheless. When I reached the pod I hauled myself in through the opening and slumped down beside heavy breathing Piers. 

I let my tears fall as I wrapped my arms around his neck tightly and his good hand gripping onto my waist. "Piers...." I cried before pulling away and punching his good arm to which he groaned. I shot him a harsh glare, wiping away my tears. "Don't you ever f*cking do that ever again!!" I demanded of the man I love. 

A soft chuckle came from his lips, followed by an exhausted sigh. "Alright..." he huffs out before slipping into unconsciousness. 

"Don worry....we'll get you fixed up." I promised to his sleeping form and I felt his good hand tighten on my waist reassuringly.