Ch. 22

"....Depressurization process is almost complete." ugh that automatic voice is so annoying. I came back to consciousness barely, as I still had to force my eyes to open. 

All I could hear was rushing water, Piers and Chris grunting and groaning in pain and exhaustion as well as loud animalistic screeches until my eyesight cleared up enough to see what was going on. 

Chris and Piers ran about, dodging each attack the B.O.W. threw at them al while still firing at it. From time to time I would see bright flashes of light and I knew it was Piers. I felt despair settle in my stomach at the thought of him turning himself into the very thing he hunts down for a living. But I still love him for not giving up.

That's a trait I wish I could have. 

Out of nowhere the creature whipped around on the two males, swinging its flimsy yet strong arm in a wide arch, slapping Piers and Chris away like nothing. Chris flew backwards with a painful groan before collapsing on the watery floor. 

His pain, brought me back to clear logic....well at least Rebecka Muller logic. 'I refuse to let these two die because I wasn't strong enough to do anything to help. Not like back then. This time I will do something.' An image of Finn flashed in my memories and I pushed it pack angrily. 'I am not letting another die for me.'  I gripped the knife still in my grasp and brought it down to my leg. 'Not today, and not ever again!'

The sharp point pierced my jeans and skin beneath as blood near immediately leaked from the puncture and pain erupted in my right thigh. A scream emitted from the back of my throat, awakening all of my other senses to their full glory once again. 

I pushed myself from the floor with a dangerous glare, set on the beating spot on the frozen B.O.W. as it struggled to break free of Piers's attack. I yanked the knife from my thigh, biting down on my lip hard to suppress the coming scream.

I stumbled forward but regained my footing. I then stumbled again only this time I kicked off the ground with the momentum of my fall and thrusted the knife into the beating heart of the B.O.W. before yanking it up and out of  it creating a rather large gash that would have killed any regular human.

I stumbled back as the creature withered in pain and cries before falling limp were it lay. I sighed in relief before turning around. My chest throbbed in agony at the sight before me. "Piers!" I said, stumbling towards the man. He shook his head, pushing me away. I stopped, feeling tears fill my eyes as Chris was by our side in an instant. 

"Piers, come on. Just stay with us." 

"I'm sorry captain...." he glanced up at me before looking away ashamedly. "Rebecka..." he must truly believed he was a monster in my eyes yet to me he was still the most beautiful man I have ever seen. Heh...I guess love truly does make you blind to all faults. But I don't give a damn. "I did it for the BSAA, for the two of you, and for the future." he managed out.

"I know." Chris replied clearly, catching both of us off guard of how calm he looked. That sparked hope in my heart that maybe, just maybe we'll get through this alright. "You did a real good thing."

"As long as the two of you--"

"Piers, no!"

"I don't want to hear it!" Chris backed me up instantly, grabbing Piers's head like a father would a son. "We're all  getting out her, all right?" I watched as Piers hesitantly nodded his head. I smiled overwhelmed with emotions as I moved to help the greenish-gray eyed soldier. 

I hook my arm beneath his, taking some of his weight since he seemed to be struggling with controlling the virus inside of him. "Let's go." Chris ordered, opening the door as I helped Piers out of the room. 

Chris shut the door behind us and that annoying automated female's voice came on again over the intercom. "Warning. Facility's infrastructure compromised. Unable to withstand water pressure. All personnel, please evacuate immediately."

"Come on we need to hurry!" Chris said running before jumping off the ledge and landing with a roll on the platform over from us. 

"I can do it, are you going to be alright?" Piers asked, looking over at me then down at me leg. I chuckled half-heartedly.

"I'll be fine, just a flesh wound." I brushed off the fact that truthfully it hurts like the dickens right now but escaping this hellhole is our top priority right now, not my leg. Piers seemed unsure as I backed up before running and copying Chris's actions. 

I landed sloppily but still managed to gather myself with hurting myself further. Piers followed suit before grabbing my hand with his good one and took off running. I grimaced in agony before pushing the thought and feeling of pain from my mind even though I felt the warm liquid of my blood running down my leg.

The automated voice repeated itself again as we continued down the unleveled platforms all while killing off any J'avo and mutated B.O.W.s that got in our way. I slid under a torso high bar of pipes and wires, coming up on the other side, I slam head first into a soldier and I waste no time to finish him off with the remainder of my bullet rounds.

We finally made it to the door at th end of the enemy infested route and wasted no time in exiting. 

We are getting out of here.