Ch. 3

We had made our way to a checkpoint. Another team was suppose to meet us here soon. I was sitting on a pile of rocks for a chair. A strong gust of cold, brisk wind picked up and blew through the blown out holes in the building. I shivered and rubbed my hands over my arms. "Cold?"a voice asked. I knew it was Piers by the slight teasing tone in his voice.

I looked up and sure enough the none other Piers Nivans stood over me. I sigh, looking back down as he sits down beside me. "How ever did you notice?" I question. I hear a small chuckle rise from his throat.

Out of nowhere I feel an arm wrap around my shoulders. I stare wide eyed at its owner. Piers. He looked straight ahead but the faintest of blushes was on his cheeks. I was in a much worst condition, my face is most likely the color of a tomato. "P-Piers-"

"Shh." the said male cut me off. "It's my job to keep you safe. . .that includes keeping you from getting sick from hypothermia." I giggle at his response. "What?" he asks, finally looking at me.

"You take your job very seriously." Three trucks pulled up outside and BSAA soldiers came filing out. . .with a body. Piers stood up, fully alert, he went to talk with the others. Finn came over to me with something in his hands.

"Becka. . .is it okay if I call you that?" Finn asks.

"Yeah, it's okay. What's up?"

"Here. We found a spare in one of the trucks." Finn handed me the clothing. I stretched it out to get a look. It's a hunter green jacket with the BSAA badge on its left shoulder.

"Thank you Finn." I said, pulling the piece of clothing onto my cold body. Instantly I felt relief. I looked down at myself. I'm wearing black combat boots, a knife in my right boot, fitted black pants, my pistol holster on my right leg, black fingerless gloves and a light gray thermal long sleeve shirt with three buttons on the front and now the BSAA jacket Finn gave me. It was pretty good sized. Wasn't too loose nor tight. Just Perfect. I chuckled to myself. "Hey Finn, I make this look good huh?" I asked smiling.

"I don't know. . .maybe you should ask your crush, Piers. I'm sure he'd be happy to judge you." Finn replied slyly walking over to the group of soldiers.

"H-hey. . .w-wait. What the hell is that supposed to mean?" I questioned but the male ignored me completely. Pft. . .I don't have a crush on Piers. Sure he's hot and funny and nice and. . .ugh, what am I thinking?! I mentally slap myself. I don't like Piers. . .or. . .do I. . .NO! That's preposterous. He's the enemy. 'But he doesn't have to be the enemy.' a voice at the back of my head whispers.

Chris walks into the ruined building and joins the group of soldiers. I see Piers beckon me over. I huff and join the group, standing in between Piers and Finn.

"He was running recon. Alone." Piers explains the situation to his Captain. Two soldiers carry the body off somewhere.

"Listen up." Chris announced. We all turned our attention him. "In the BSAA, our job is to rid the world of bioterrorism, and the only way we're going to do that is by sticking together."

"Nobody's expendable." Piers joins in.

"Exactly. Now each and every one of you may be ready to die for our cause, but it's my job to make sure we all get through this alive. Soldier. . .and civilian." Chris said, looking over at me. I heard sniffles come from beside me.

"Suck it up Finn." Piers ordered. I looked over and Finn was wiping away a tear.

"Sorry sir." he replied.

"No one gets left behind. Not on my watch. Understood?" Chris announces. I smile at how determined he sounds, a new found respect for him comes to me.

"Yes sir." all the other soldiers reply.

"Finn, give us the update." Piers orders. I watch as Finn pulls out what looks like a flashlight but when he flicks it on a holographic display shines on the floor.

"The Guerrillas are using a new form of B.O.W. Command is calling them 'J'avo'. They are extremely intelligent, incredibly strong and have the ability to mutate in response to physical trauma." Finn informs. He flicks the flashlight thing off and stuffs it in one of his multiple pockets. J'avo. . .they must have taken the same energy booster as me then. . .but why am I not like them?

"All right, you know the drill. We split into three teams. Move out!" Chris ordered.

"Yes sir!" the other soldiers shouted. They moved towards the three trucks. Chris came up to me and put a hand on my shoulder.

"Beck, you'll come with me and Finn. Oh. . .and nice jacket." I nodded in response, a little embarrassed. Chris headed towards the truck and I looked to Piers. He smiles a reassuring smile.

"Don't worry, you'll be at the back of the convoy and you're with the Captain. He won't let you get hurt." Piers says. He softly pats my back before going to his designated truck. I wanted to say that I wanted to go with him but I kept my mouth shut. I head to the truck Chris is standing by. I climb in and Chris shuts the door then he climbs up on top to the gun.