Ch. 20

My body aches. My chest hurts from the constantly climbing of this ladder, jumping, running and pulling each other up. Honestly can't this stupid B.O.W. slow the heck down, or at least give us a running head start? ANYTHING?!? Ugh.

We finally got to the top of the chamber and I fired a couple of rounds at the beast now looming over us. I turned around as Piers jumped up onto the platform I was on. We went to help Chris as the B.O.W. yanked the platform he was on out of the way. 

The BSAA captain slid down the platform until he was hanging onto its ledge for dear life. "Chris! Hold on!" I shouted, firing round after round at the monster swinging him about. Eventually the B.O.W. screeched, slamming the platform down as it slumped against the chamber's walls. 

Chris rolled from the platform and ran towards us after collecting his bearing. We got into the elevator and headed up, leaving the B.O.W. behind. When the elevator door opened, we stepped out into a huge room with rushing water. The hatch in the floor was beginning to close until that thing climbed in through it. "You have got to be kidding me. That thing's still alive?" Piers shouted in bewilderment.

I stumbled back as it emerged even more until the doors clamped close on thing's torso, trapping it where it was. "Not for long!" Chris and I shouted back in unison. I looked over at the captain and smiled cheekily before shooting at the B.O.W.

We quite literally ran around in circles around the monster, firing everything we have at the B.O.W. "Beck look out!" Piers shouted, I looked around me in panic as the thing scooped me up. A scream came from me out of surprise and I wriggled in the B.O.W.'s grasp as it raised me higher and higher. "REBECKA!!!" Piers cried out angrily, firing away at the B.O.W.'s face in an attempt to capture its attention.

It screeched out in pain, letting go of me thankfully but not thankfully at the same time since now I was sent plummeting down towards the water covered ground. "NO!!" another scream ripped through me only to be cut short as I was grabbed a second time by the B.O.W. however this time I was able to free my knife. 

Swinging the sharp blade above my head, I thrusted it down and into the beast's hand with as much force I could possible muster. The blade stabbed through the thick flesh as another screech filled the room and I was left falling towards the ground again. 

I squeezed my eyes shut, not wanting to feel the pain of smacking in the ground. Before I could slam into the floor, something slammed into me from the side. 'Are you fricking kidding me? It grabbed me again?!' I thought rather pissed off, ready to shoot it this time. 'Wait, I can reach my pistols?' I opened my eyes to find a smirking face with beautiful greenish-gray eyes staring down at me in amusement. "You're not getting away from us that easily." 

"You just like to remind me, don't you?" I asked with a matching smirk before planting a kiss on his lips. Wow, they are so soft!!

We got up to help Chris and dodged another hand slap from the B.O.W. "We can't let this thing see the light of day!" 

"Yes sir." I caught myself saying before turning to Piers who laughed aloud as he fired away at the B.O.W. My face burned in embarrassment. I can't believe I just said that. I continued to run, dodge and fire at the B.O.W. until finally it fell to the ground and unmoving. 

I breathed out in exhaustion. "Finally!" I cried out happily. At least now that thing won't see the light out day and we can finally get the hell out of here. 

Suddenly the whole room shook, accompanied with loud shifting sounds as huge chunks of the ceiling started dropping down on us. I jumped out of the way on one falling piece and look to the two BSAA soldiers. "We should get out--"

My words were cut short when the windows across the room caved in, shattering and letting water pour in like a waterfall. The same thing happened behind us too, to another set of windows. Water came at us from both sides and I struggled to hold my ground. I felt the current of the rushing water push and pull me every which way. 

It wasn't until I no longer felt the floor beneath me that I truly began to panic. 'This is not good.' I looked over to where Piers and Chris were to find they were no longer there. "Chris!! Piers!!" I shouted over the rushing water. 

I searched for the two when I heard Piers call out. "Beck!" I spun around, towards the sound of his voice. 

"I'm here!"

" Come on--"

"BECK LOOK OUT!!!" Chris shouted with urgency. I looked up discovering a falling piece of the ceiling. My eyes widened in fear as I started swimming to clear the area it was to drop. I got six feet away when the debris crashed into the water creating a huge splash that scaled over me, pulling me down with its weight. 

~ Pier's POV ~

"REBECKA!!! I forced out, ripping the insides of my throat. I stared in bewilderment, waiting for her to break through the surface of the water perfectly fine but she never did. 

A heavy, painful weight was put on my heart and I needed to save her, there's no question about it. I moved to jumped back into the water when the captain grabbed my arm. I spun on him, my anger rising up with my worry. "Captain, please I need to save her!!"

"I know, just be careful." he said, letting go of my arm. I nodded to him and dove into the dark ice cold waters.

~ Rebecka's POV ~

I can't see a God damn thing down here. Not even my bubbles to know which direction I need to swim in to find the surface. 

My chest burns from the amount of air I'm losing. I'm not going to make it am I? 

Before any true fear can settle in me a dark figure swims towards me. I try to swim away only to be pulled right back by the figure. 'No, no, no!' I think until the figure's face becomes clearer in the dark water. 

Piers.

Hope blossoms in my burning chest as he grabs my face. He connects our lips firmly, giving me air. I take it without question before following him back up to the surface. We surface, gasping for much needed air. 

He hugs my waist, burying his face into the crook of my neck and I breath out in relief. "Thank you." I choke out, exhausted and tired of all of these near death experiences. Piers sighs against my wet skin.

"Of course." He says, his words hot against my neck, sending new shivers down my back, ones that the ice cold water can't do.

I pulled him away from me and smiled softly before we swam over to where Chris was waiting for us. Chris reached down for us and we each took one of his hands as he heaved us up from the water. "You all right?" he asked, genuine concern etched in his voice.

"Yeah...I could be better though." I joked as we moved towards the door for our escape route, unbeknownst to the creature stirring beneath the waters behind us.