Ch. 4

I sat patiently bored. I begin to hear rapid gunfire outside. "Enemy fire! Enemy fire! Alpha Team engage!" someone shouted from one of the trucks in front of us. I glance out the window shield of our truck just in time to see the truck Piers was in get hit and land upside down.

A sickening feeling twisted in my stomach. "Come in HQ! We're taking fire at the Two of Hearts! Engaging the enemy!" Chris shouts from up top. He climbs down from his spot and opens up the door for me. I quickly climb out, a part of me wanting to know if Piers was alive. "Stay close!" Chris orders. I nod and follow him closely, my pistol at the ready.

We ran through an open building and met up with Piers. 'Oh thank god he's alright' I say mentally. "Are you alright?" Chris questions his second. That's when I see him. A J'avo pops out from behind a pillar, his gun aimed at the three of us. I raise my pistol and land a head shot within a heartbeat.

"Yeah-" both Chris and Piers jump from my gunshot as the J'avo falls limp to the ground and bursts up in flames. Both men look at me, surprise looks on their faces.

"Fast reflexes." I say innocently, holstering my pistol, but their expressions stay the same. I place my hands on my hips in annoyance. "I can handle myself you know. I'm not some damsel in distress, if anything I'm a damsel who causes distress." I say walking away as if it were nothing, leaving the highly trained soldiers to watch.

I turned around to see them look at each other with the same expression. Shaking it off, they both jogged to me. "Alright then. Can you handle two pistols?" Chris asks, holding a second pistol in a holster out to me.

"Oh yeah." I say rather deeply, taking the second gun into my hands. Piers hands me a few clips. I put them in the jacket's inside pockets. I strap the second pistol to my left thigh because my first gun is on my right. I look up to Chris and Piers. "Let's do this." I state, a smirk evident on my lips.

"Let's move." Piers says. We ready our guns and run into combat.

We duck behind a truck. Popping up to fire at the enemy a few times. This is taking way to long. I looked over at Piers. Damn he looks so hot right now. 'Ugh! Stop thinking those kind of thoughts!!' I mentally slap myself. 'Pay attention Rebecka!' I tell myself. Piers ducks back behind the truck in order to reload his gun.

I dropped the empty clips from my pistols and reloaded them. I see a small shadow above us from over the truck. It hits the ground and rolls to a stop a few meters away. 'Aw sh*t!'

"Grenade!" I shout. We all scattered from our secure hiding places. I ran to my left, shooting down enemies that got in my way. The grenade exploded, tossing me forward. I landed hard and skidded a few feet on my back til I stopped. I gasped to get air into my lungs as the J'avo fire relentlessly at my struggling figure.

"Rebecka!" I hear someone scream. I can hear clearly, my eye sight however is a different situation. All I can see is a blurry picture.

~Piers's POV~

"Rebecka!" I scream. I watched her lay on the ground, on her back barely moving. 'Oh, god please don't let her be hurt.' I thought mentally pleading. The enemy fires round after round at her helpless body. The other BSAA soldiers and I return the fire to give Rebecka some time to get to cover.

Out of the corner of my eyes I see her pull herself to her feet. A wave of relief washes over me but it's not over yet. 'At a girl.' I think, a smile spreading across my lips. I keep shooting at the J'avo. Out of nowhere I hear a scream. My eyes dart to Rebecka to find her once again on the ground, this time clutching her side. My smile drops, her jacket slowly stains red where her hand is placed. 'She's hit!'

I feel anger and a desperate need to protect her leak into my veins. Unconsciously, my muscles jump into action, sprinting towards Beck's hurt form. "Piers!" Captain cries after me. "Cover him!" he orders the others.

I reach Beck's form and swoop her up in my arms bridal style. I keep running straight til were inside the building in front of us. I rush to a back room, making sure it was clear before propping her up agaisnt the wall.

Ragged, uneven spurts of air leave her shaking body. I gently grab her shaking hand in my steady one and lower it to her side. I then lift the bottom of her shirt high enough to get a good look at her wound. I'm relieved when I see it's mark on her body. The bullet had grazed her but was still deep enough to bleed a lot. "You'll be fine Rebecka, just breath." I say, my voice coming out as a whisper.

I see her pained face light up, a smile spreading across her lips. "What happened to calling me Beck?" she asked. I sigh, a smile of my own spreading across my lips. I moved a strand of her long beautiful brown hair out of her face. Guilt pulses through my body as I watch her injured body.

Tear streaks stain her cheeks. Her pale blue eyes held a look of pain but she's strong. I can see that much. She's in a lot of pain but she's sucking it up so she doesn't look weak in front of me.

"Piers?! Rebecka?!" we hear Chris's voice call.

"In here! We need medical supplies!" I called to him. Moments later the captain and the others rushed into the room. Ben, Alpha Team's medic, went straight to us and kneeled at Beck's side, examining her wound thoroughly.

"I'm going to need you to take off your shirt so I can fix it neatly." Ben said straight forward. Beck's eyes widened and she glanced around at the other males in the room, especially me. What is she so worried about? Doesn't she want to have it fixed. . .oh. My face reddened as bright as hers and I stood to my feet. Chris, Carl and Andy had gotten the hint but Finn stood there with no clue.

"Alright. Clear out and check the perimeter." Chris ordered. everyone but the wounded girl and Ben cleared out of the room. That included me.

I walked the inside perimeter of the building, next to the windows, glancing outside. 'I could've done something to protect her. I loosened up for one second and she got shot. It's my fault she's hurt.' A hand landed on my shoulder, snapping me out of my thoughts. I jumped and spun around ready to fight but pulled myself to an immediate stop upon seeing the captain's face.

"Easy soldier. I came to tell you that what you did, was reckless. . .but it was also necessary. You saved Rebecka's life from being in anymore danger. Good job, Piers." Chris assured me. My shoulders dropped along with my head, now hanging low.

"She still got shot." I whispered, guilt laced in my voice.

"Hey, stuff happens, don't beat yourself up about it."

"But I-"

"Piers." Chris said firmly. I looked up to meet his gaze. "Beck would say the same thing. It wasn't your fault. Besides, her wound didn't look that serious." Chris said. I nodded my head lightly. As the captain began to walk away he stopped and turned around. "Piers, have you developed feelings for that girl?" he asks. I cast my look to the ground.

"I-I. . .I don't know captain. . ." I drag on the sentence. Chris nodded in understanding.

"Captain." we heard Ben say, coming out of the room he and Beck were in. I straighten up, wanting to go see her. 'Do I have feelings for Beck? I mean, she's beautiful, strong and skilled and I always end up smiling around her but. . .is it possible?' I ask myself. "We're ready to head out." Right then Beck comes out, standing tall, her hand hovering over her side but she doesn't dare touch it to show weakness. I fight back the urge to rush to her side and protect her. She makes it harder when she locks her pale blue eyes with mine.

"Alright, let's move!" Chris orders. We all head out of the building, Finn taking up the rear as I walk beside Beck.