f i f t e e n ✖️ the fault in our 'i love you'

cashlynn's pov

i was currently in my room with hunter, finding something more comfortable to wear for movie night.

he was on his phone, lounging quietly on my bed, his face moping with a bored, careless expression.

i frowned at his placid, uninterested features.

lately, hunter hadn't really been into our relationship as much as i hoped and wanted him to. he wasn't putting as much effort into making conversation, planning things we could do, and overall being the amazing, lively, boy i had come to love. he wasn't even doing the simplest things as responding with, "i love you too."

"can you hurry up? everyone is probably waiting for us!" hunter exhaled heavily, his voice laced with a bothersome tone.

"why don't you head downstairs without me, i'll meet you there." i suggested and hunter stood up without further questioning.

he headed out of my room without looking at me and i swear i heard him mutter "finally" under his breath.

i shook my head as my chest ached, causing me to place my hands ever so slightly against my heart.

what did i do? i just want hunter back; my hunter.

after drowning in my thoughts some more, i finally went back to finding something comfortable to wear.

i finally decided on my black nike pros and a light blue, donut odd future shirt.

i quickly slipped into the outfit, keeping my hair down, and exited my room, meeting everyone downstairs.

i was about to walk up to hunter when i noticed that he had already taken a seat with someone else. on his left was erica, and on his right was the end of the couch, leaving no room for me. a feeling of déjà vu spread throughout me and i shuddered unevenly.

i bit my lip and walked up to hunter anyways.

"hey hunt, can you scoot over so i can sit with you?" i asked, smiling lightly.

he looked up at me and grimaced at my presence.

"sure." he muttered, and i knew that he didn't want to sit with me in the first place.

he looked at erica apologetically before sighing and scooting over.

i hesitantly took a seat, looking at hunter before diverting my attention to the tv screen that was playing the fault in our stars. (a/n this movie still makes me cry😭)

halfway through the movie, the feels were acting up and i could feel the tears begging to fall from my eyes. i scooted closer to hunter, wanting his safe, loving hold to embrace me.

he didn't react though, if anything he just ignored me. so the rest of the movie, i sat alone, tears falling from my eyes. but this time, the tears weren't from the sad plot line or the heart wrenching dialogue flowing from hazel and or augustus' mouthes. this time it was because it was hunter, and somewhere inside me i knew he was losing interest in me.

i felt something tap my elbow from beside the end of the couch, so i looked down, seeing blake looking at me curiously.

i wiped my tears and smiled at him, watching as he grabbed my hand and intertwined his fingers with mine.

the action made me blush, but i knew it was just a friendly action. blake knew what comforted me, and nowadays, i felt liked he knew me better than hunter.

"finally this movie is over!!!" i suddenly heard taylor scream.

i looked over at the tv and realized he was right.

something inside me sparked with happiness that i wouldn't have to watch the sadness anymore, but something inside me also frowned, knowing i would have to go back to hunter practically ignoring me.

i stood up abruptly, taking my hand away from blake and speeding up to my room.

i just crawled in bed, tears still lodged at the brim of my eyes.

i got under the covers, thinking of hunter and everything that has been happening.

about 20 minutes later i heard my door open, but i pretended to sleep, not caring who could possibly be in here.

"cash? i know you're not asleep." i heard hunter speak, causing my heart to break yet flutter with butterflies.

i turned onto my side and looked at him, smiling lightly.

"hey hunt." i said quietly, causing him to smile.

"i wanted to say i'm sorry. i'm sorry i haven't been the best boyfriend. i'm just really nervous i'm going to mess us up and suddenly, you, the girl i lo-." he cut himself short, not finishing the word i died to hear just once. "you, the girl i like, aren't mine anymore."

i stayed silent, frowning deeply at his words. i knew he was apologizing but we had said much more before, and something told me he didn't quite mean this apology.

"what is up with you? can you not say 'i love you' anymore? do you not love me anymore?" i whispered quietly, a tear falling from my eye.

hunter frowned and approached me, hugging me tightly.

"no it's not like that."

"than how is it?" i interjected.

"i do love you, it's just... what if we're moving too fast?"

i pondered the question and sighed defeatedly. i didn't think we were moving fast but if that's what he thought, i wasn't going to let it ruin our relationship.

"fine. but just... show me you still like me, hunter. if not 'i love you', then at least act like i exist."

hunter nodded and kissed my forehead.

"goodnight, princess." he said quietly, standing up and leaving my room. "i promise i'll be better."

i sighed and watched as he shut the door behind himself, leaving me feeling lonely in this empty bed.

only if he truly meant what he said...

✖️

i didn't like this chapter. sorry it was rushed but i felt i had to update!! also, what grade are you guys going into??? i'm going into 8th grade and my school don't start till september something. idr

don't forget to vote/comment!

peace out brussel sprout✌🏼️<<i'm running out of these thingies