Prologue

As Long As You're Mine

Sophie Anna

Prologue

One Year Ago…

      “Elle, I have something I want you to listen to,” Nick said, taking my phone out. One of his tan fingers slid across the glossy screen, as he searched through my infinite selection of songs. He found the one he wanted, and pressed play. I leaned against the dark leather interior of his car, and let out a deep breath. The first two notes made their way into my eardrums, and I instantly knew the upcoming conversation was going to be a tough one. Then, the first lyrics sounded: Here we are now, everything’s about to change.

      “Nick—” I started.

      “Just listen to the song, Elle. Please,” he said, gently putting his hand on mine.

      So, I did. We face tomorrow as we say goodbye to yesterday. A chapter ending but the story’s only just begun. A page is turning for everyone. So, I’m moving on, letting go, holding on to tomorrow. I’ve always got the memories, but I’m finding out who I’m gonna be. We might be apart, but I hope you’ll always know, you’ll be with me wherever I go. Wherever I go. 

      I couldn’t hold it in any longer. A tear dripped from the corner of my eye, and, soon after, small droplets of water began to run down the sdies of my cheeks.

      The song made me so sad. I didn’t know why, but it was just such a melancholy ballad. It was so emotional, and the lyrics were heartbreaking, really. I had heard it at least a hundred times (probably more), and, every time I heard it, it made me sad. The lyrics had so much meaning behind them— well, at least for me they did.

      So excited, I can barely even catch my breath. We have each other to lean on for the road ahead. This happy ending is the start of all our dreams, and I know your heart is with me. So, I’m moving on, letting go, holding on to tomorrow. I’ve always got the memories, while I’m finding out who I’m gonna be. We might be apart, but I hope you’ll always know, you’ll be with me, wherever I go.

      “Are-are you breaking up with me?” I asked, confused as to why he would.

      “Shh…” he said, putting a sole finger on my lips, and giving me an apologetic look.

      I listened to the remainer of the song in a dejected mood: It’s time to show the world we’ve got something to say. A song to sing out loud, we’ll never fade away. I know I’ll miss you, but we’ll meet again someday. We’ll never fade away. So, I’m moving on, letting go, holding on to tomorrow. I’ve always got the memories, while I’m finding out who I’m gonna be. We might be apart, but I hope you’ll always know, you’ll be with me wherever I go. So, I’m moving on, letting go, holding on to tomorrow. I’ve always got the memories, while I’m finding out who I’m gonna be. We might be apart, but I hope you’ll always know, you’ll be with me, wherever I go. Wherever I, wherever I go. By the time the song ended, tears were streaming down the remainder of my face.

      “Look, Elle, I love you, but I can’t stand this school, this town, these people; I need a way out,” Nick said, holding me in his arms.

      “Y-you’re leaving?” I stammered, as a million thoughts began to race through my mind. 

      “Yeah.”

      “Where, when, and why?” I interrogated, as my hand swept across my face, in an attempt to wipe away the small puddles of wetness that had been formed.

      “Colorado,” he said somberly.

      “Colorado? Why the heck are you moving to Colorado?” I demanded, as tears continued to flow from my eyes.

      “Do I really need to answer that?” He didn’t. I knew exactly why he was going to Colorado.

      “When?”

      “Sunday.”

      “Why?”

      “I’m training for the Olympics.” Why couldn’t Nick have been a normal boy and not had any special traits or qualities about him? Why did he have to be amazing at every sport he played to the point where he had the ability to enter the Olympics? Why?

      “So, that’s it? We’re over?” I sniffled, not caring that I would probably need twelve boxes of tissues in order to clean up the current state of my face.

      “I just played you a song. I know you know that song by heart. What does it say?” he asked.

      “I don’t know,” I said stubbornly, not in the mood to think.

      “Elle, you analyze everything to the fullest. What does it say?”

      “That you’re moving on,” I muttered.

      “It also says that I’ll miss you, but we’ll meet again someday, and that you’ll be with me wherever I go,” he said, cupping my face with his hands.

      “So, are we,” I gulped, dreading the upcoming words that would come out of my mouth, “breaking up?”

      “No; I’m just... leaving. Man, that sounds douchey of me. Sorry, Elle,” he said, shaking his head.

      “So, this is it?”

      “Of us? Absolutely not! Just like the terminator, I’ll be back. One day, I hope we can make this work.” He looked over to me hesitantly, and added for good measure, “I love you.”

      “So, let me get this straight, are we over?” I asked.

      “No; we’re in a long distance relationship, with each other for the future. I promise, I’ll come back for you one day, and then we’re totally getting married!” he half joked. I couldn’t let him go. He meant too much to me. I couldn’t even begin to think about my life without him. 

      “I love you Nick,” I said, with the lack of anything better to tell him.

      “I love you too, but do you at least understand why I’m doing this?”

      “Yeah— you love skiing more than me.”

      “Not true, but are we cool?” he asked, brushing a peice of my dark hair away from my heartbroken face.

      “I don’t know.”

      “Please, Elle?” he pouted.

      “Fine, but you better come back for me!”

      “I will, I promise,” he said, leaning into me, and lightly crushing his moistened lips into mine.

A/N: This is somewhat of a sequal type thing to my other story I'm Not That Girl. To understand this story you don't need to have read the other one. This story is different than the other one, and the only thing they have in common are the characters. 

-Sophie