Chapter Thirty-One

Chapter Thirty-One

Elle

      “Nick! Can you answer your phone?” I screamed, aggravated that his annoying ringtone, some stupid rap song, wouldn’t stop replaying.

      “In the shower!” he called back.

      I let out an irritated groan, getting up from my peaceful, safe haven of my room, and walked across the hall to his room to try and silence his cellular device. Hesitantly, I looked around the disordered room, wondering where the music was coming from. I saw a heap of dirty clothes as big as a small bear, and had a hunch his phone was hidden beneath.

      Carefully, I crouched down to the dirty clothes and stuck my hand under them, gripping a hard, smooth, brick-like object. I pulled it out and smiled when I saw his familiar, black iPhone. I glanced down at the caller ID: Mommy. It was funny, seeing as how even Nick referred to Danni as “Danni”, and yet, in his phone she was saved under a more appropriate, affectionate name.

      “Hi, Danni, it’s your favorite Paterson,” I answered the phone, roaming back into my room with Nick’s phone in hand.

      “Jordan!” she joked, “I’ve missed you so much!”

      “Funny, Mrs. Ross,” I said, using a term she wasn’t too fond of.

      “Elle, all joking aside, where’s my son?” she said seriously.

      “Which?” I inquired.

      “The one whose phone you’re speaking on.”

      “Oh! The little one,” I said, “Got’cha! Well, Nick is currently unavailable.”

      “He’s in the shower,” she said, knowing her son all too well.

      “That he is. I can’t stand his ringtone, so is there a message you’d like me to rely to him?” I said, reminding myself of a secretary- a noble profession I would never tackle.

      “Just tell him that Danni called,” she sighed.

      “Will do,” I agreed.

      “Lovely talking to you, sweetie. Next time I’m in town we should have coffee,” she said, as I heard a tone in her voice that indicated she was ready to end the call.

      “Well, I don’t think Lexie would like that very much,” I said smugly, Lexie’s name being Nick’s consequence for crashing at my house on Thanksgiving and the awkward dinner with Lexie and Evan.

      “Who’s Lexie?” Danni asked as expected.

      Nick was going to hate me, but I didn’t care at this point. “Alexis Hunter?” I said. There was silence on the other end, Danni not responding. “Don’t tell me he hasn’t told you yet!”

      “Told me what?” she demanded, confused.

      “He has a new girlfriend,” I said, dropping a grenade much smaller than the bomb that was planted on me at Thanksgiving.

      “Does he now?” her voice went up an octave. “Tell me, though I know no one can be as good as you, is she at least cute?”

      “I guess; she’s just another snobby girl,” I sighed.

      “Does she go to Harvard?”

      “Yeah,” I said, “but she’s more of the party type oppose to smarty.”