Chapter Four

Chapter Four

Elle

       “Jake!” I said, spotting his unmistakable mop of messy brown hair staight away.

       “Elle!” he said, rushing over to me, and wrapping his toned arms around me in a hug.

       “So, what’s up?” I asked, escaping from his grasp, and casually sitting down opposite to where he had just been.

       “Oh, nothing much. Do you like your new apartment?” he asked, reclaiming his previous seat.

       “Condo, and yeah, I love it!” I said, adjusting my position so I held eye contact with him.

       Eye contact. It’s one of those things that I can’t stand. I don’t like giving people the power to see another side of me by looking into my eyes. When I was applying to colleges, and I had interviews, the hardest part was keeping eye contact with the other person. I just... don’t like it. 

       “Who are your roommates again?” he asked.

       “John Kent, and some kid from Colorado,” I said, not elaborating. I’m going to have so much fun with this.

       “Boy?”

       “Yeah.”

       “Colorado, huh? Is he... weird?” Yeah, Nick’s pretty weird.

       “Yeah,” I confirmed.

       “Why’s he at Harvard?”

       “I don’t know, I guess he’s smart or something.” I’ve got to go with or something.

       “Does he play any sports?”

       “Yeah, I think he mentioned he’s a big skier,” I winced as the word skier tumbled out of my mouth, “And likes football.” Oh, and he may have been training for the Olympics, and also happens to be on the football team at Harvard...

       “Good sports.”

       “Sure...”

       “How’s John?” he asked, changing topics.

       “Annoying as ever,” I sighed.

       “So he hasn’t changed much?”

       “Nope. How’s BU?” I questioned.

       BU. Boston University. God. What a joke. It’s a lovely school and all, but, personally, I think Harvard’s better. I guess it’s just a case of loyalty to one’s school. I don’t even know how Jake didn’t get into Harvard! I mean, it’s not that hard! Sure, I had a GPA of 4.6, tons of voluteer work, a load of extra curriculars, and a perfect record; but when it comes down to it, that all doesn’t matter.

       I’m Elle Paterson, I’ve always been that perfect little girl, it wasn’t really a question of whether I was going to get in or not, but more of a question of if I would go. Psh. That’s pretty funny- me not going to Harvard? Yeah right! Both my parents are alumni, and I’ve been dreaming of coming here since I was five. Harvard’s in my blood... I mean, with Jordan it did skip a generation, but no family’s perfect.

       “Uh... Good,” he smiled, sending a wave of butterflies through my stomach.

       When Jake smiles, he uses his entire face. It isn’t just his teeth showing, and his lips upturned, it’s his eyes illuminating with enthusiasm, and the happiness that naturally radiates off of him. When Jake smiles, it makes everything more cheerful. I remember when he was younger, even when he lost sports games, that youthful smile would still remain plastered to his face.