Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

      “John! Nick!” I called, entering the condo, slightly confused with the sight my eyes had viewed moments before.

      “What?” John yelled back.

      “Coming!” Nick shouted. The clatter of feet, much resembling that of elephants, stomped down the stairs. A few seconds passed, and then both Nick and John were standing in the front room, opposite me.

      Nick was dressed in a pair of jeans, and a T-shirt, but something about him told me he wasn’t planning on just hanging out. John was in sweats and nothing else, his pale stomach fully exposed. Though it pained me to admit, between Nick and John, Nick had the better body. Nick was more toned and tan, whereas John was slimmer and paler. Not that I’m physically attracted to either of them in anyway- but factually speaking. 

      “So, what’s up?” John asked.

      “Did you happen to have the spontaneous urge to buy a sports car?” I asked John.

      “No…” he shook his head, “why?”

      “Because parked outside our building, in one of our parking spaces is a red Corvette. Nick, did you happen to get a paint job on your car in the last twenty-four hours?” I questioned Nick.

      “No,” he replied.

      “Okay, so then who can explain why the hell there’s a car there, and who it belongs to?” I said, frustrated with the lack of information I was receiving.

      “Well the car’s yours,” Nick said, running a hand through his hair.

      “What do you mean?”

      “It belongs to you,” he said.

      “No, it doesn’t,” I objected. I had my small, little Smart Car, which was at home. I did not have an expensive Corvette, nor want one.

      “Yeah, it does.”

      “Why is it there?”

      Nick thought for a moment, before responding, “As a pre-apology present.”

      “A pre-apology present?” I repeated, not having the slightest clue as to what he was indicating.

      “Yeah,” he nodded.

      “Who’s apologizing, and what for?” I asked, concerned that something in the house may have broken, or that something catastrophic had happened in my life that I wasn’t informed of.

      “I’m apologizing,” Nick proclaimed.

      “For what?” John snorted, walking over to me, and propping his elbow on my shoulder.

      “Oh ya know…” Nick stalled, evading the answer to the question he had been asked. He mumbled something under his breath, inaudible to anyone with ears.

      “What was that?” I asked.

      “I’m going with Aspen and Lexie to…” he said, muttering the last part. So, he was apologizing for going with two of the people I hated somewhere that I most likely also loathed. Cool. Nick really is the perfect example for how not to be a good friend.

      “Seriously, Nick, where are you guys going?” I prompted.

      “Colorado,” he blurted. I thought for a moment, before his words sunk in.