Chapter Thirty-Four

Chapter Thirty-Four

      “Mmmmm!” I yawned, extending my arms in an attempt to stretch them. The previous night, I neither had any dreams nor the darker equivalents. I slept perfectly, though couldn’t figure out why.

      “So, you’re finally up,” Nick’s distinct voice mumbled hoarsely.

      Startled, I twisted my body in the direction of his voice and immediately jolted out of happy mood as I saw he lay beside me, his shirt eluding his torso.

      “Nick…” I trailed off as he shot me a goofy grin oblivious to my discomfort.

      “Elle?” he questioned, leaning closer to me. Before I was aware of what was occurring, his lips had planted themselves on my cheek. Stunned, I merely drew back, gaping in response.

      “What the hell!” I cried, quickly stumbling out of the bed I had slept peacefully in the night prior.

      “I knew this was going to happen,” he sighed, shaking his head.

      “What are you talking about?” I demanded forcefully.

      “Elle, what happened yesterday?” he countered.

      I opened my mouth, prepared to recall everything that had happened the day before, when I stopped myself and thought about it for a moment. “Well, we went out with Kara and John, and then I-I got mugged.”

      “What else?” he prompted.

      “I came back to the apartment, and then-“ it hit me. “I didn’t!” I gasped in shock of the realization of my actions.

      “Afraid so, Ellie P,” he smirked.

      “You-you kissed me?” 

      “Other way around, babe,” he laughed.

      I buried my head in my hands, horrified at the acts that I had soberly committed. Despite the rush of adrenalin, the decisions I made were fully my own. I had kissed Nick Ross, willingly, and had become something I never wanted to be: a cheater. I, Elle Paterson, was a cheater. I had kissed another man (If Nick qualified as one), while being in a relationship with one of the sweetest, most amazing guys on the planet. 

      “Nick, please, I’m begging you, can this please just be our little secret?” I pleaded, my relationship on the line if Nick chose to obstruct my request.

      “Under two conditions,” he said seriously.

      “I’m listening.”

      “Break up with Jake-”

      “I can’t do that!” I stated, crossing my arms, angry. Though I was mad at Nick for being, well, Nick, I was more irritated with myself for allowing everything to escalate as far as it did.

      “Oh? Then I guess I’ll do it for you,” he said in a way that I knew he was completely sincere.

      “Nick!” I objected. I had brought it upon myself, but if anyone were to tell Jake about my mistake, then it would be me, not Nick. 

      “Kiss me,” he said simply, not a hint of hidden meaning underlying in his words.

      “Absolutely not!”

      “Then I guess Jakey’s going to find out,” he shrugged.

      “So, what is this, blackmail? I didn’t think you were the type, Nick,” I said. “In fact, I know you’re not the type. You’re not going to tell Jake.”